Alcohol-Free Beer Recipe???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bckyrdkid420

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but was wondering if there was a way to make alcohol free beer?...

My SWMBO bought me all my brewing stuff for xmas last year and was all fired up to start getting into homebrew's... Made my first batch on new year's eve... 5 days later we found out she was pregnant with our first baby! Super stoked!
3.5 months later, she's in her 2nd trimester and I have about 6 brews under my belt... And she hasn't got to try even a sip of any of them! I put a few bottles away for her of every brew, but I feel bad sitting there raving about how good they are and she can't even enjoy one!

So I thought it would be rad to be able to make her a Alcohol Free Homebrew (if it's even possible) She's usually a Lager drinker, but enjoy's Blondes, wheats and Kolsch's...

If anybody knows of a way I could pull this off, I'd be really appreciative and I know she would be too!

This might be a stupid question, but was wondering if there was a way to make alcohol free beer?...

My SWMBO bought me all my brewing stuff for xmas last year and was all fired up to start getting into homebrew's... Made my first batch on new year's eve... 5 days later we found out she was pregnant with our first baby! Super stoked!
3.5 months later, she's in her 2nd trimester and I have about 6 brews under my belt... And she hasn't got to try even a sip of any of them! I put a few bottles away for her of every brew, but I feel bad sitting there raving about how good they are and she can't even enjoy one!

So I thought it would be rad to be able to make her a Alcohol Free Homebrew (if it's even possible) She's usually a Lager drinker, but enjoy's Blondes, wheats and Kolsch's...

If anybody knows of a way I could pull this off, I'd be really appreciative and I know she would be too!

I don't think it's possible. Even trying to boil off all of the alcohol won't get rid of all of it.

Even commercial NA beers have a small amount of alcohol. I think O'Doul's has about .4% ABV.

Maybe you could brew a beer without the hops and let it ferment. Then bring it back to a boil and hop it? The re-boiling will drive off the alcohol but will probably take a lot of the flavor with it too.

And I've read that pregnant women can have 1 glass of wine a day and be fine.

I'd probably die of dehydration if I ever got pregnant... I'm still saying never! There is no way I could go 9 months without beer.

And I've read that pregnant women can have 1 glass of wine a day and be fine.

My pregnant wife is just as adamant about not even having a sip of any alcohol. Of course it's a bit of an overreaction but I'm not going to rock the boat.

Obviously talk to your doctor first, but I think these are both defensible positions. On the one hand, low alcohol intake (in the 1 drink/day realm) seems reasonable, and a lot of doctors are okay with that during pregnancy.

On the other hand, once you open that door it's very easy for some people to let one drink turn into 2 or 3 or more, and so zero-tolerance may be the easiest thing for a lot of people.

I'd probably die of dehydration if I ever got pregnant... I'm still saying never! There is no way I could go 9 months without beer.

Same here. Oh, wait, I'm a man...

At least the OP is saving some of his homebrew for his SWMBO. Mine doesn't drink beer, but she'll take a few sips to taste it. She usually says it's too bitter.

Funny how this debate goes back and forth over the years, even though Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is only a problem with chronic alcoholics. When my elder sisters were pregnant back in the '70s and '80s, doctors were recommending moderate drinking, 1-2 a day.

Anyway OP, getting rid of all the alcohol is almost impossible, but you can heat any beer to 170F for 30 minutes and knock the ABV under 0.5%.

We found out my wife was pregnant a week before a 10 year anniversary trip to Mexico. The bar budget was half (okay, three-fourths) what I planned.

She would allow herself ONE sip of whatever beer I was drinking a night. It was funny to watch her. She'd cradle the glass in her hands and breathe deeply. Then move in for the tiniest of sips, let it roll around on her tongue and then swallow. You'd have thought it was liquid gold.

Through the pregnancy, she'd still allow one sip whenever I'd have a beer. It was funny to watch her sneak her sip when we'd be out to eat and she was visibly pregnant. :)

The kid is perfect. However, I wouldn't want to suggest that as medical advice. you take the level of risks that are right for you.

With force carbonating I think you can get really close.

http://***********/stories/article/...l-brewing/265-brew-a-great-non-alcoholic-beer

My wife is working on 17 months. Like some of you, we have googled the heck out of the issue, and have come to the conclusion that there is no evidence whatsoever supporting moderate levels of alcohol leading to FAS. That said, we tend to be more on the cautious side, so she typically limits it to a sip here and there. However, on occasion she will have a 3 oz. beer festival sampler glass.

With force carbonating I think you can get really close.

http://***********/stories/article/...l-brewing/265-brew-a-great-non-alcoholic-beer

The problem is that heating beer beyond the boiling point of ethanol does not remove all (or even most in a reasonable amount of time) of the ethanol.

It would be impossible to make candy if that were true, all of the water in a sugar water solution would vaporize at 212 F.

My wife is working on 17 months. Like some of you, we have googled the heck out of the issue, and have come to the conclusion that there is no evidence whatsoever supporting moderate levels of alcohol leading to FAS. That said, we tend to be more on the cautious side, so she typically limits it to a sip here and there. However, on occasion she will have a 3 oz. beer festival sampler glass.

17 Months? That is going to be one big and healthy baby.

Thanks for the replies everyone... Figured it was a impossible to get ALL the alcohol out of a beer (or make it without), but figured I'd ask.
My SWMBO is one that won't even take a sip if she knew there is even a hint of alcohol in it. So I guess she's S.O.L. for 6 more months. She's already she wants me to bring a few 22's to the hospital for imidiately after the birth! :)
At least I'm saving her a few of each batch! (Even though it's hard not to tap into them! :D )

Thanks for the replies everyone... Figured it was a impossible to get ALL the alcohol out of a beer (or make it without), but figured I'd ask.
My SWMBO is one that won't even take a sip if she knew there is even a hint of alcohol in it. So I guess she's S.O.L. for 6 more months. She's already she wants me to bring a few 22's to the hospital for imidiately after the birth! :)
At least I'm saving her a few of each batch! (Even though it's hard not to tap into them! :D )

Mental picture of wife, proud papa and doctors and nurses all hoisting a homebrew!!!!!!

Job well done.:mug:

Couldn't you make a beer sans yeast?

Yes I know it wouldn't be beer...but you could WAY scale down the grains in hope of diluting the sugars down far enough so they aren't super-overpowering and add extra hops.

Not saying I've done it...but it should be "beer-esque"

Can't be worse than Coke.

I have a solution for you. You can make kvass which is a Russian ale and its very low in alcohol (~1%). Its something that everyone drinks in Eastern Europe (young children included). Not only is it very refreshing it doesnt take a long time to make. It's a perfect summers drink and I will be making some when summer comes around.

http://www.kombu.de/kwass.htm

Back