Best Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjensen1068

Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys think is the best way to go for Kegerator:

1. Fridge - Newer
2. Fridge - Vintage
3. Upright Freezer
4. Chest Freezer

Will likely purchase from craigslist. I do have woodworking skills

I would like to have at least 2 corneys on tap with room for at least one or two more corneys ready to be tapped. Also room for additional bottles of beer.

I'm new to brewing and have yet to bottle my first batch (True Brew Brown Ale to be bottled this weekend), already hooked. My plan is to start kegging within the year. Use Perlick faucets, etc. Have seen the post on sizing Keezer.

What are the pros and cons as you guys with experience see it. Thanks for the advise.....great site.

Cheers

Personally, I prefer my chest freezer. I have used an upright fridge, and it ran way too often, My chest freezer runs about once a day for 15min.
The Magic Chef 7.2CF will hold 4 kegs without a coller, and last check was only $200. I keep my tank and several cold glasses on the hump. I am satisfied with my picnic taps! Mabye some day I will add a tower to it. a 6-8 inch collar would allow for 6 kegs, if i move the tank outside. I keep it in the garage.

1. Fridge - Newer
If you are going to store bottles in the fridge and other things in the freezer, this is a great option. May have to shop arround for one that will hold 4 kegs.You can mount faucets right on the door.
2. Fridge - Vintage
Gonna use more power to run, looks alot cooler! You can mount faucets right on the door.
3. Upright Freezer
Space utilization. also, cold air falls, so when you open the door, it fills with warmer air.
4. Chest Freezer
Best space utilization. Cannot simply mount taps to the door.

One thing I forgot to mention is that it will be located in an attached garage...so I understand the smaller fridge units are out.

What are the pros and cons as you guys with experience see it. Thanks for the advise.....great site.

1. Fridge - Newer
Pros:
No temp control needed
Easy to load
Energy efficient
Small footprint
Cons:
Temp isn't as precise.
Space isn't well used (usually there is space above the kegs unused.

2. Fridge - Vintage
Same as above but not energy efficient.

3. Upright Freezer
Pros:
Precise temp control
Easy to load
Energy Efficient
Small footprint
Cons:
Temp control needed
LOTS of space above the kegs, maybe room for two levels (pro and con)

4. Chest Freezer
Pros:
Precise temp control
The most energy efficient
Very good use of space
Can have towers or shanks.
Cons:
Temp control needed
Large footprint
Harder to load
Collar might be necessary (could be a con)

So I'm leaning more towards the freezer based on your comments....which was my first thought to begin with. Now I have to decide between an upright or a chest. For an upright freezer I understand it needs to be a frost-free version. Correct??

No the temps are above freezing. So no buildup of ice is going to happen I had used an upright for about a year. I went with a chest freezer because it works better specially if SWMBO keeps opening the damn door to put groceries in it. Now its her extra fridge and she stays away from the beer kegerator

I wanted to use an old fridge, and actually had a free one lined up. I liked the idea of having a freezer on top for hops and maybe a frosted mug or two. When I found out that a 1987 fridge is estimated to use $200 a year in electricity, I reconsidered. I spent that $200 on a freezer that can hold 6 cornys, and should cost about $30 a year to run. I still wish I had the freezer space, but this is working out well. If you could find a decent deal on a recent refrigerator and it would hold enough kegs for you, I would consider it.

In a lot of the upright freezers that I've seen the shelves are the cooling coils & are not removable.

Just something to watch for.

I wanted a fridge for the extra freezer space, partially since our main fridge freezer is packed and as a place to store bulk hops.

Back