Easy carboy cooling method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoBill

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm sure people have used this before, but I haven't read about it. I was fermenting and the temp went up a couple degrees yesterday. It was at 72 in a 7 gallon glass carboy. I wanted it closer to 68. Easy solution? I took a towel, soaked it in water and wrapped it around the carboy. Then took a fan and put it on over the carboy overnight. Worked like a charm. Got up this morning and it was 66 degrees.

Has anybody else noticed that during primary fermentation the temp goes up a couple degrees? It the reaction exothermic?

I went one better on my first brew -- it was nearly 80 F in my house, so I bought an aquarium pump from the local pet store and set it up to pump water to the top of an old t-shirt wrapped around the carboy. Kept it soaked 24/7. This, plus a box fan, brought it down below 70 and kept it there til the heat passed.

Back