My stainless fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMBUCA

Reaction score
I haven't tried it yet but here it is:
I'll let you know how it works.

dn019.jpg

dn017-1.jpg

dn010.jpg

dn015-1.jpg

That's impressive! Why did you decide to go with a keg instead of buying a conical? I know it is cheaper but it looks like you spent some good cash on the valve.

C'mon, you were bored and wanted to weld.:p

Will you transfer under pressure out the corny tubes, and if not then why not just a pot lid ? Is the valve below just for cleaning, because I don't think you'll get a really clean transfer out of it, but it's pretty manly. I know you said you didn't use it yet, but what's the theory behind how you're going to use it and what you're expecting out of it.

Definitely going to be a conversation piece when you have visitors. Looks cool but I need it 'splained to me.

-OCD

Why did you decide to go with a keg instead of buying a conical?
Sorry for the late replys...for me to get a conical to Canada with the way our dollar was + shipping was going to be over $1200.00. I built this for about $400.00 CDN. (way more than I thought it would be- hope the wife doesn't see this post)

Will you transfer under pressure out the corny tubes, and if not then why not just a pot lid ? Is the valve below just for cleaning, because I don't think you'll get a really clean transfer out of it
Yes I'm going to use the corny tubes. I have 2 lengths of tube; the longest reaching directly to the middle of the bottom hole with a tip from a racking tube. The keg port is a full 2 " that I then reduced to an inch 1/2 ball valve that I am hoping I can harvest yeast.

The beer is in...I'll keep you posted.:tank:

PS: if anyone is interested in a project simular to this...I have 2 brand new, 1 1/2 inch sanitary ball valves for sale (cheap) $90.00USD + shipping. Valves only; no other parts. Send a PM if interested or email [email protected]

Awesome looking project. Are you concerned about the effectiveness of the dump port on the bottom due to the relatively flat bottom of the keg?

I'm not sure if this is a good reference, but it provides some insight on fermentation vessel design.

Brewing: science and practice - Google Books

See page 514, section 14.3.1:

..."An important characteristic of these vessels is the steep angled cone at the base. An angle of 70* is required to allow the yeast to settle into the base of the vessel at the completion of primary fermentation. This has allowed, in some systems, maturation and conditioning to take place in the same vessel as fermentation"...

I'm not sure that a full 70* is really necessary but it seems like there's a chance you'll leave quite a bit left in the bottom. With occasional agitation (tapping on the outside of the keg?), perhaps it's likely you can get the trub, etc. to migrate to the dump port and using multiple dumps over a few days will result in a good dumpage. I'm not sure. Huh huh, I said dumpage.

I'm building a ss conical at the moment (with the help of a welder friend) and I have a flat plate at the base of the cone which is about 3" wide. I domed it out as much as possible but I'm still a little curious as to whether or not this will allow me to adequately dump. Here are a few pics:

cone.jpg

insidef.jpg

Back