No liquid in airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutchboy62

Reaction score
Ok so I made a batch of hard cider last year and did like a good boy and forgot about it. Lets just say I got busy and wasnt making any wine or cider for a while and when I went down to the basement I noticed the airlock was out of fluid. So my question is the cider ruined. My understanding is that as long as it is not vinegary it is good. Can anybody let me know for sure. I tasted it and it seem fine. As long as it tastes alright it is ok it should be fine right?

hmm, i had to leave mine for 3 weeks, and used vodka, and have a pretty small airlock. This makes me nervous

I am real new at this, but if you leave the red top on the airlock, wouldn't that pretty much protect it from most airborne stuff? Obviously, not as good as liquid, but wouldn't it work?

Even tho' the airlock went empty, it probably kept any external air out -- that's the key, you won't want any floaters to enter ontio your carefully prepared culture. It had been filled with water, and the CO2 generated the bubbles, hopefully displacing any regular air in the chamber. The chamber was filled w/ yeast burps, heavier than air, anyway.. Even with the water gone, the available opening is very small, and the chance of external yeasts, bacteria, etc. getting in is probably very small. I think you're safe. ;)

Put some more H2O in the top chamber and monitor it for a while... it's probably aged well. Please email us samples. :D

I wish I had your patience.

Back