2 equipment questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
Ok first, I am just converting to all grain. I bought my parts to build my mash tun today. i will post pics when i am done. I also need to upgrade my Pot. I am deciding between a stainless steel turkey pot (which is not as wide diameter and taller) compared to a 35qt stainless steel stock pot(much wider and only 11" high)....which do you think would be a better choice???

second....since going to all grain from what i read a Ice bath will no longer be good enough for chilling my wort. Looks like i also need to buy a wort chiller. What is the main difference between stainless steel and copper wort chillers.....once again...what do you suggest!! thanks for the suggestions everyone

I have no opinion on the stock pot but the biggest difference between copper and stainless is price, the standard seams to be copper.
welcome to all grain brewing kiss your extra money goodbye. (kidding)

No real opinion on the pot but I'd probably go with a wider pot over tall and narrow. I'd actually just get the biggest one I could afford. I have an 8 gallon and wish I went larger.

For the chiller, if you want to look at it efficiency wise, the copper has a much better thermal conductivity than stainless steel. I also heard, I think it was from Midwest, that the copper chillers stay looking better than the Stainless steel ones. They're really easy to clean and get back to bright shiny copper with a little vinegar.

I'd consider making your own as you'll save a good bit of money. I wish I saw this thread before I bought a premade chiller. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/immersion-chiller-tutorial-video-60522/

You'll want more than 8 gallons to boil safely for all grain... if you boil off 1.5 gallons in an hour, you need 8 gallons for a 6.5 gallon batch... I'd go for atleast 10...

+1 on regretting the 8 gallon pot purchse.

Back