Star San and Soapy Bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it normal to have soapy bubbles when using Star San?

When I filles my 7 Galln Carbot with it, it bubbles like MAD!!! About half way through the filling process, I had soapy bubbles coming out the funnel and Carboy. Also, After I empties the Carboy to ready it for the Wort, it still had a bunch of bubbles in it. So, I rinsed the carboy once, but it still has a little bit of bubbles in it. Is this okay? Or will the Star San kill my yeast?:eek:

Those bubbles are the one thing everybody complains about when using Star-San. You're just supposed to ignore them...the Star-San will not kill your yeast. Try to resist the temptation to rinse...it's a no-rinse sanitizer, and one of your best weapons in the battle to RDWHAHB.

I figure that if the bubbles are blocking the mouth of the carboy, nasties can't fall in. Or maybe it's wishful thinking :D.

As far as the bubbles were concerned, as far as they were a Normal byproduct of the Star San, it's a good thing. I'll just need to use more towels next time I brew. Thanks for all the replies and I look forward to replying in the morning. Happy BREWING TO ALL!!!

turning the carboy upside down for 5 minutes or so should reduce the amount of bubbles
only place i found the bubbles annoying was in the airlock- i will go back to cheap vodka next time

Yeast didn't get really going until late last night. It was pitched on Friday night. The Yeast didn't sit in the starter long enough. As far as the Star goes, i will defineately be using it all the time now. It's great to let my hoses and everything thing before bottling in the Star San, then taking it out and using it immidiately without having to rinse. I'm sold.:mug:

I am a complete newbie and unable to offer any advice, but I did stumble onto this sight the other day. They have a live radio braodcast show dedicated to homebrewing. You can download shows from the archives and listen to them. A few weeks ago they had a rep from Five Star Chemical Co. I believe he talked about the very issue you have mentioned. Here is the link for anyone interested.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/archive.php

It is listed as shown below.

Sunday Live Show 03-19-06 mp3 format

Our first official sanitation show. We are joined by Charlie Talley, one of the founders of Five Star Chemical Company. Charlie tells us all the do's and dont's of Star San, Saniclean, Iodiphor and PBW. It's an all around great discussion that dispels many of the myths around sanitizers, and answers many of the questions homebrewers have regarding sanitizing chemicals.

The gist of the show is this:
Star San is, at least, not bad for the beer; it may actually be good for the yeast health. The only worry would be head retention, but even then it would be broken down and quite diluted.

Listen to the show it's entertaining, informative and about beer.

apparatus said:
I am a complete newbie and unable to offer any advice, but I did stumble onto this sight the other day. They have a live radio braodcast show dedicated to homebrewing. You can download shows from the archives and listen to them. A few weeks ago they had a rep from Five Star Chemical Co. I believe he talked about the very issue you have mentioned. Here is the link for anyone interested.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/archive.php

It is listed as shown below.

Sunday Live Show 03-19-06 mp3 format

Our first official sanitation show. We are joined by Charlie Talley, one of the founders of Five Star Chemical Company. Charlie tells us all the do's and dont's of Star San, Saniclean, Iodiphor and PBW. It's an all around great discussion that dispels many of the myths around sanitizers, and answers many of the questions homebrewers have regarding sanitizing chemicals.

Wow... great link! Thanks

RLinNH said:
Is it normal to have soapy bubbles when using Star San?

When I filles my 7 Galln Carbot with it, it bubbles like MAD!!! About half way through the filling process, I had soapy bubbles coming out the funnel and Carboy. Also, After I empties the Carboy to ready it for the Wort, it still had a bunch of bubbles in it. So, I rinsed the carboy once, but it still has a little bit of bubbles in it. Is this okay? Or will the Star San kill my yeast?:eek:

You don't have to fill it all the way up. Just put in 1/2- 1 gallon, slosh it around so everything is coated, dump out the star-san and tip your caboy upside-down to dry a bit. You only need a minute or so of contact time and this is easily achieved while the carboy is drying. Easy-peasy. Cheers.

Back