Got vodka in my yeast starter. Am I screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tax779

Reaction score
Got a yeast starter all set up and filled the air lock with vodka. Gave it one final shake and some of the vodka got in the starter. Am I hosed?

umm well, probably not screwed. thats the first time i've heard of this though. relax and when you go near the homebrew shop tomorrow pick up a couple extra packets of dry yeast. it's always a good idea. SafAle 05 is a good middle of hte road choice. That's just incase you messed up your started. But i say pitch and wait! :mug:

That depends on how big your starter is, how much vodka got in it, and what kind of yeast you're using. However, I doubt you were making a tiny starter or got enough vodka in it to raise the EtOH conc above the threshold for the yeast.

It was a 1 pint starter with 1/2 cup DME. I'd say about a teaspoon worth of vodka got in.

So, 40% of 0.08oz was EtOH, and fell into 34oz...which probably increased the EtOH conc ~ 2%, if that. You should be fine. I'd give it a gentle shake just in case.

It's happened to me before. Turned out fine.

I just use a piece of sanitized foil on them now; more oxygen exchange that way.

Back