question on bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbrew3

Reaction score
First three batches were done with partial boils and although the beer tasted great it didn't really have the "bite" I like in pale ales and ipa's I recently did a full boil as I read on here that you have better hop utilization..after 5 weeks in primary and two and a half weeks in the bottle my ipa is really good as far as taste appearance and carbonation..but a very faint bitterness with alot of tropical and citrus flavors at the back end..I figured the flavor I want, now just want the bitterness..if anyone can help I would appreciate it greatly,thanks

Recipe as follows

6gallon boil
5gallon batch

6lbs light lme
2lbs light dme
1lb crystal 20l

.60oz columbus 60min
.50oz centennial 20min
.50oz falconers flight 15min
.50oz falconers flight 10min
.50oz summit 5min
.50oz centennial 1min
.50oz summit 1min
us-05 yeast pitched on top of wort at 68
fermentation was kept at 62-65

Plugged everything into beersmith, and it looks like you'll be in the ballpark if you bump the Columbus to 1oz. Software is super handy for tweaking hop schedules and learning how things work in theory. The other additions aren't going to yield much bitterness (a little but not much)- they're for aroma.

i did 1oz of centennial pellets (9.7% aa) each at 60,15,10,5 for my first brew, and it's well hoppy and bitter. enough that im letting the second version of the same brew (with a few adjustments) condition at room temp in keg for four weeks before serving. good luck

jwitt said:
Plugged everything into beersmith, and it looks like you'll be in the ballpark if you bump the Columbus to 1oz. Software is super handy for tweaking hop schedules and learning how things work in theory. The other additions aren't going to yield much bitterness (a little but not much)- they're for aroma.
Alright..next batch gets a full oz.. And probably need to pick up beer smith as well! Thanks!

Back