eBIAB using Ranco controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el gato

Reaction score
I'm debating on using this device Ranco ETC 111000 to control a 4gal eBIAB with a 2000 watt element.

The majority of threads referencing the Ranco are for refrigeration. I didn't want to spend the time wiring a pid and control panel if this would work.

Thanks for the help

I don't know what eBIAB is exactly, but I am assuming you are seeing if you can use a ranco to control the temperature of the mash? My only concern would be how accurate the temperature probe is at those higher temperatures... dunno!

I've been stocking around this portion of the forums looking for a way to get into electric brewing. I never thought about trying to incorporate a Ranco into the equation. Wish I had the knowledge to confirm this might work, but I'll watch for the answers/thoughts.

you will need a contactor or a relay, because the ETC can not handle the load a 2000 watt 120vac will require to run.

I tried this with a Ranco for my first HERMS heat exchanger, toasted it. You can set it to a one (+/-)1º differential and I found it to be accurate for holding mash temps. As for boiling I can't say much. but there are quite a few post here about using 2000W element for E-brew rigs up to 5 gallon size.

you will need a contactor or a relay, because the ETC can not handle the load a 2000 watt 120vac will require to run.

I tried this with a Ranco for my first HERMS heat exchanger, toasted it. You can set it to a one (+/-)1º differential and I found it to be accurate for holding mash temps. As for boiling I can't say much. but there are quite a few post here about using 2000W element for E-brew rigs up to 5 gallon size.

Thanks for the info. I had a gift card to amazon that would cover one, but if i'm going to toast it or have to do more wiring I might as well go with a pid.

Thank you

I use one for my smoker and one on my indirect hydronic hot water heater. So they'll work fine for high temp applications.

Thanks for the info. I had a gift card to amazon that would cover one, but if i'm going to toast it or have to do more wiring I might as well go with a pid.

Thank you

Yep, you can get a PID and a SSR for about the price of the ETC.Ranco's work great for fermentation temp controllers though, where PIDs IMO are a PITA for fermentation.

Hey El Gato. You brought up a good question. I havent looked into this much but in my travels on the wonderful world wide web, I found this guy:

The Powers Home Brewery

Maybe you've seen it or maybe not. On his website he has a wiring diagram that could be of help. Maybe send him an email.

Yep, you can get a PID and a SSR for about the price of the ETC.Ranco's work great for fermentation temp controllers though, where PIDs IMO are a PITA for fermentation.

thanks, i was looking for a plug and play option. But i also have an amazon gc which I can use for the ranco. I havent been able to find the auber items on amazon.

Hey El Gato. You brought up a good question. I havent looked into this much but in my travels on the wonderful world wide web, I found this guy:

The Powers Home Brewery

Maybe you've seen it or maybe not. On his website he has a wiring diagram that could be of help. Maybe send him an email.

thanks for the link. I havent seen that one yet

Back