Video Game Nerds, need your recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
Noticed there are a few of you through the Skyrim thread...GF is going on vacation next week, I have no more fermenters to brew. So I'd like to just get a new game that I can ideally beat in a week. Since I'll be undisturbed I'll have far more time than normal.

Anyone got recommendations on what game? Xbox360 or Wii. Something that lasts maybe 8-12 hours is probably doable for me.

A quick glance and I saw these of interest, can anyone verify if they are good?

Madworld
Viking
Fable 2
Battlefield Bad company
Demons Forge

Any of those any good? Quick? Other recommendations?

Thanks!

I enjoyed the original Battlefield Bad Company and it wasn't insanely long. I have Madworld on the Wii, but haven't really played it much as I play the PS3 99% of the time. I doubt it's more than 10-12 hours.

I don't really play my Wii much either lol...360 or PC mostly. I just moved recently, so I don't have a desk setup for pc yet, so it's not really useable. I've heard Madworld is relatively short, just haven't bought it or anything.

Ditto...it was fun when I went to friends places and we would play it for hours...then I bought one and realized how much fun they lacked while by myself. Party system for sure.

I made fun of my friend for selling his when they were still a hot item...guess who gets the last laugh...

ewwww beat it in 8-12 hours I dunno . . . Normally I dont buy a game unless I can get a couple or 3 good years out of it (hence the whole MMORPG deal for me) . . .

What about the new CoDMW?

Noticed there are a few of you through the Skyrim thread...GF is going on vacation next week, I have no more fermenters to brew. So I'd like to just get a new game that I can ideally beat in a week. Since I'll be undisturbed I'll have far more time than normal.

Anyone got recommendations on what game? Xbox360 or Wii. Something that lasts maybe 8-12 hours is probably doable for me.

A quick glance and I saw these of interest, can anyone verify if they are good?

Madworld
Viking
Fable 2
Battlefield Bad company
Demons Forge

Any of those any good? Quick? Other recommendations?

Thanks!

Fable 2 was awesome, and I never played BFBC but I have BF3 and it's insane.

I really don't think anybody's making games that can be "Beat" in 12 hours... I think many are shooting for the 40 hour mark nowadays.

Have you played Portal 2?? I played the first one and really liked it.

I beat the story mode in about 8 hours. Now the multiplayer is enough to keep me busy for the next year!

I'll second Portal. The first game is amazing. I haven't played Portal 2, but I've heard its as good if not better than the first.

Fallout 3?? That one took me waaaaay more than 12 hours, fantastic game though. I forgot to mention I don't buy the latest and greatest games...I cap my spending at $20 a game.

I will check out Portal 2 and a couple others I was recommended (Vanquish and Singularity). I'll let you guys know what I decide and give my review.

Homer, I agree they are aiming for longer games, but there are still quite a few that should be beatable pretty quickly. Conan was a blast, and quick.

It's been a long time since I've actually "beat" a game, they always take me to long to finish and I lose interest. With the rise in free time next week I should be able to accomplish this task though.

Ah I missed the 8-10 hours bit, I only saw the week off..lots of time bit.

Bioshock 2 is out too then :)

Are Bioshock and Bioshock 2 really that quick? They always interested me, just never got them in favor of other games.

When I say it's out, I mean out of the running, you're unlikely to finish them too quickly, brilliant creepy games though, I considered putting them down a few times cos they creeped me out so much.

Ahh, I read it differently. They look a bit creepy, I always hear how awesome they are though...but I'm just not a fan of the creepy games. Hated all RE games till I played RE 5, which was awesome. Left 4 Dead was good...maybe I only like the action oriented creepy games. How much action is in Bioshock?

Bioshock is phemomenal, so worth a look, not creepy in the same sense as RE though, more just the way you get groaning women jumping you from nowhere (suodns good right?), just freaked me out lots of times. The whole little sister thing is a tad disturbing also.

Thats the kind of reviews I have heard...damn...I might have to go with Bioshock now...Lots of action though? I mean, I assume it's not one that you are blowing stuff up left and right? More fallout type action? Fights here and there...or am I way off?

Bioshock was EXCELLENT! I would say it is beatable in 10-12 hours if you don't screw around too much. Me, I always want to see everything...which is why I have such a backlog of games to get too someday. I never played Bioshock 2, but am interested in Bioshock Infinite. I think the price is coming down on Portal 2, another I haven't played, but the first one was great.

Thats the kind of reviews I have heard...damn...I might have to go with Bioshock now...Lots of action though? I mean, I assume it's not one that you are blowing stuff up left and right? More fallout type action? Fights here and there...or am I way off?

Bioshock is more of a straight FPS while Fallout has a lot of RPG to it. However, the Bioshock story is great and there is a little more to it then just, shoot everything left and right.

Check the reviews on gamefly/ign. I personally wouldn't buy anything that doesn't have a 7 or better.

My recommendations:
Fallout 3/new vegas
Borderlands
Dead space 1/2
Bioshock 1/2
Any of the call of duty series
Mass effect
Assassins creed 1/2

As has been stated before not many games now are beatable in 8-10 hrs.

Have fun!

So I guess Fable 2 is a negative then...at least I am narrowing the list lol

Fable 2 is a fun game, so what if you can't complete it in the allotted time? Will you never play a game again?

_

Fable 2 is a fun game, so what if you can't complete it in the allotted time? Will you never play a game again?

_

Good point. I just meant that I lose focus and desire to keep playing after I stop for a couple days. Games just don't keep my attention like they used to, unless they are just an amazing game. Fable 2 is back on the list...

Any game where you can kick chickens , have face tattoos, and sleep with hookers is good by me.

_

MW3 might be a good option. The campaign is only 6 hours, but the special ops missions can take up some more time, and multiplayer is a total time suck...

Since this thread I've gone back and started Fallout 3 again, I went to try and pick up the game again where I had left off and I had made a few decisions I'd forgotten about, so had to abandon it and start again.

I tried to start Fallout 3 up a couple times after a lengthy break...I always ended up restarting. Make a hand to hand + explosive oriented character, you will own lol. I was walking up to super mutants and beating them to death no problem.

Bottlebomber, Mass Effect was a blast...I don't know that I care to get into a game that long right now though. ME 2 will be in the future for sure though.

Scrambledegg, I have Forza 3, is 4 that much more worth it?

Back