Question about my porter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
So my buddy and I started home brewing and am loving every minute of it. We have about another week left in the bottle for our first batch of porter. I cracked open a bottle to check the status thus far, definitely carbonating and moving right along rather well. The question I have is that the porter tastes and smells like it should...however it does not have the dark porter color it should...it has a very nice dark nutty clear color to it...but not that signature porter/stout color...Does this have to do anything with extract vs. all grain? Did we do something wrong? and how can we guarantee the most out of our grains and materials? Thanks guys.

Hard to say without seeing the recipe. In general extract brews I've made have been on the darker side not lighter.

The roasted grain flavor is followed by a hint of molasses and butterscotch. This black, full bodied porter is sold in England as a Strong Stout. It was originally named for train porters who were its servers and consumers. Our ingredients for this recipe include: 6 lb. Light DME, 8 oz. Crystal 50-60L, 8 oz. Black malt, 8 oz. Chocolate malt specialty grains, 1.5 oz. Goldings, 1 oz. Fuggle pellet hops, 2 oz. Molasses, 1 tsp. Irish moss, grain bag, priming sugar and yeast.
We ended up upgrading to Irish Yeast in liquid form...
The color right now is a dark nutty clear brown...not really that dark blackish porter...

Back