Routing table help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddMic

Reaction score
Hey wood working people, gotta question for you.

When I try to use my routing table & bit to make a box joint - it practically shatters the board. I was using 1/2'' birch

I've use a few peices of different style of wood so it must be something I'm missing.

Sorry about the huge picture - i've edited it in photobucket but it still looks monster.

DSC_0037.jpg

What type of bit are you using and is it sharp? How are you holding the wood and feeding it through? Are you using a backer board? Is your router VS? IMO to cut a clean boxjoint in plywood on a router you need A) a sharp spiral cut bit, preferably an upcut B) a jig of some sort to secure and feed the piece without any wobble C) a sacrificial backer board D) slower bit speed so that you can feed slowly without burning.

FWIW I prefer dado blades on the tablesaw for most box joints, but especially for plywood.

Its the material your using. Its skinned, which is plywood with with a 1/16 layer of birch glued to it. You need to score your wood with a razor knife before you route it. Or use hardwood.

It's a brand new Skil bit that does a 3/4in strait cut. I clamped the board to miter gauge and it is vs.

I will try your suggestions to see if that works. Brand new at using a router so I have no clue - thanks for the help!

Would LOVE to use a dado blade but my tables saw doesn't take em - its a portable dewalt 745 :(. Love the saw but I wish it did that.

Someone already mentioned backer board, but for Plywood, you would want a sacrificial board in front and back....especially with a straight bit

that's for the help guys

Arturo - what make/model did you get for the dado? The manual said it cannot be done

IIRC, the Dewalt saw CAN dado....but you're limited by how much. I almost got that saw....ended up getting a Porter Cable one with a few more features. For my limited use, I'm happy with a lesser brand.

Back