Honey Kolsch + Citrus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soxpats

Reaction score
Hi all, been browsing the forum for several months but first time posting! The recent warm weather here inspired me to make my first "summer beer", and I am planning on brewing a Honey Kolsch from a Northern Brewer extract kit.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/honey-koelsch-extract-kit.html

This is only my 3rd brew and the previous ones I followed the kit exactly and didnt mess with anything. This time I'm thinking about adding some citrus flavor with either orange peels or lemons, but I don't know how to go about doing it.

First off, would the citrus flavor go well with a Honey Kolsch? How much would I need, and do I put it in the boil or in the fermentor?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks!

I have this exact kit in the secondary. I added the zest from an orange and lemon to the boil for the last 10 minutes. I also dry hopped with 1/2oz of Saaz for the first 5 days in the secondary. I have high hopes for this one.

I'm sure you know this but don't add the whole peel. Just the very outer colored part(vest). The white (pith) is very bitter.

I'll be able to tell you what I think about adding orange or lemon zest to this kit in about 3-4 weeks when they're done bottle conditioning.

As far as when to add the zest, I'd put it in the fermenter after it has just about stopped fermenting. I'd think the flavors of the zest(s) would wear off after the amount of time from boil to glass. I'm also sure that there are going to be plenty of people who think you're safe putting it in during the boil.

I guess the better question to ask is...how much do you want the flavor to stand out in the finished beer?

perfect, thanks for the tips. hopefully both our batches turn out great :mug:...i'd be interested to hear how it is with the saaz

I'll be able to tell you what I think about adding orange or lemon zest to this kit in about 3-4 weeks when they're done bottle conditioning.

As far as when to add the zest, I'd put it in the fermenter after it has just about stopped fermenting. I'd think the flavors of the zest(s) would wear off after the amount of time from boil to glass. I'm also sure that there are going to be plenty of people who think you're safe putting it in during the boil.

I guess the better question to ask is...how much do you want the flavor to stand out in the finished beer?

yeah i've heard both sides of adding it in the boil vs towards the end of fermentation. i think i'll try during the boil this time, i definitely don't want the citrus to overpower the beer, just enough where you can tell its there

I tried one bottle over the weekend. Very sweet up front taste, reminded me of sour apples (fault?). Barely any hop bitterness. Dry aftertaste. With how sweet mine was (still has 1 week left of bottle conditioning) I don't think that lemon would work as well as the orange. Hope that helps you out a little bit, I'll post again when conditioning is complete.

I just brewed a Witbier with Orange peel and coriander yesterday and added them both at the end of the boil. I didn't taste much when I tried a sample. I am going to try a sample after 4 weeks and perhaps add some for a couple mroe weeks if I can't taste it. Does that sound good?

Fruit in beer........hmmmm sounds like a way to choke down something awful...J/k :ban:

Seriously, I had an odd experience with a very similar beer. I had a Point, Belgian White. It has orange zest and coriander in it as well. The coriander was so strong that I actually mistook it for warrior hops! The 1st one was pretty good, then about 2 drinks into the second I was getting a "spice residue taste" that told me it was NOT hops, after that the odd spice taste was all I could taste and I actually poured out 1/2 of my 3rd one and still have 3 in the fridge that I will not be drinking.

I do not wish to down play your recipe or cause undo thought or attempt to rob you of an experience/taste. I just thought that I would share this.

Best of luck on your brew! :mug:

I had one of mine last night. I really, really like it. No more off flavor (sour apple). I am also still of the opinion that orange zest would taste a lot better in this beer. I also got a good deal of the honey aroma, and a little of the flavor, in the finished beer (4 weeks of bottle conditioning). I had a more experienced brewer try it, who also liked it, but noted the extract twang which I am contributing to the kit being strictly LME that sat around at my house for a while before brewing it.

On another note, my brewer friend made a wit beer with a lot of orange flavor that tasted really good.

:mug:

I had one of mine last night. I really, really like it. No more off flavor (sour apple). I am also still of the opinion that orange zest would taste a lot better in this beer. I also got a good deal of the honey aroma, and a little of the flavor, in the finished beer (4 weeks of bottle conditioning). I had a more experienced brewer try it, who also liked it, but noted the extract twang which I am contributing to the kit being strictly LME that sat around at my house for a while before brewing it.

On another note, my brewer friend made a wit beer with a lot of orange flavor that tasted really good.

:mug:

Great to hear! Mine is coming up on 2 weeks in the bottles, I'll give one a try and most likely put them away for another week or two. I put in zest of 2 oranges and one lemon into the end of the boil, so I'll let you know how it goes!

Back