TX HBTrs-Shiner Smokehaus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelero

Reaction score
anyone in TX tried the Shiner Smokehaus smoked summer beer? if so, what's the word? I'm planning on heading up for a visit in august, and I'm going get my fam to grab me a 6-pack or two so I don't miss it

According to the website, it's a light lager smoked with mesquite. I haven't seen it in the stores around here. Sounds interesting, I'll keep my eyes open for it.

I've never been a fan of shiner's specialty offerings. The only thing outside of shiner bock that's any good is their hefe, and even then there are better out there at the heeb to pick up. blonde, commemorator, etc have just been let downs for me. I don't trust them enough to be able to make something as off the wall as a smoked lager when they can't make other stuff decently.

There are quite a few reviews over on beer advocate for this. Only one A-, mostly B range, one C and one D.

If it is anything like Shiner Cheer, stay away....far away. Mesquite is a very strong and overwhelming smoke when BBQ'ing and I reserve it to beef only, steaks & brisket. It will ruin pork, poultry,& fish IMHO, and I would add beer to that list.

I'll try it, but only if someone hands me a bottle.

I guess I'm just a shiner homer-I liked the cheer! and the blonde is not a specialty beer, it's their original beer. i cut my teeth on this stuff, so I'm probably more than a little nostalgic when it comes to shiner, and biased too. guilty.

Blonde wasn't part of their original line afaik, it was just shiner bock for a very long time before they branched out into blonde and dark.

In any case, to each his/her own. If you like it great for you. Ed, reviews state that people want even more smoke in this beer and that it's almost non-existent in taste, but I agree with you, mesquite is a powerful flavor.

not part of the original lineup, THE original lineup. the 1st recipe brewed in 1909. once, at the brewery, they explained to us that they felt they had to change the name(from "original" or just plain "shiner") because it was confusing since everyone assumes the bock is the original.

"Shiner Blonde — Blonde is the direct descendant of Shiner's earliest brew. Although Blonde has carried numerous names, such as Shiner Special and Shiner Texas Special, the recipe has been virtually unchanged since it was first brewed in 1909. For this reason, Blonde carries Brew Kettle No. 1 on its label. "
and from their website:

"Blonde made its debut as the original recipe Kosmos Spoetzl brought to the "€œLittle Brewery." A golden lager that pays sincere tribute to its Bohemian roots, Shiner Blonde carries a distinctive flavor followed by a satisfying, smooth finish. Although our Blonde owes its heritage to the German homeland, it represents the best of a true American lager. That'€™s our Shiner Blonde – red, white
and brewed."

hmm I never see a blonde until like... 1998? meh, whatever. Good stuff to know.

I would echo some others in this thread. I love the good old Bock, never seem to care for their specials.

I've tried the Smokehaus. It's a helles style with mesquite. The mesquite is not over-bearing, in fact it's quite subtle. It reminds me a lot of the Helles 99they did for their 99th Aniversary (which I thought was one of their more drinkable specials, but still not up to the level of Bock).

I have never been amazed by anything "Shiner" but when I first moved here in '92 I swear Shiner Bock was a much better beer, and it was much cheaper, too.

I like em all, even the peaches and walnut Cheers. I LOVE all the rest of them as well. The Kosmos is the one I am looking to clone. They only put a few in the anniversary twelve packs/ and one in the sixers. It is hoppy but not too much. Ran out of HB (well I got about ten bottles left, of Pumkin Wheat) and wanted to go get something to help me sand and paint my outside refrigerator. I sure aint going to buy 6 twelve packs so that I can drink a few of the Kosmos' even though I drink all Shiner brand.

And yes I agree, Black is the bomb....just in the mood for Hops today. Hobgoblin too much for sanding and painting, and far from the house when there is work to do.

Last note:
It is not the perfect brewery (Sam Adams is definitely better IMHO, plus I get non twist bottles) but I still buy the product, I like a change every now and then. Smoke house has very small hint of smoke to it as I recall, that much I remember. I also remember drinking a few of them, so I must have liked them. Was several months ago.

Latest posts

Back