Thoughts on kegerator in a garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adx

Reaction score
I'm finally going to put a tower on my Sanyo 4912 this weekend and I'm looking for peoples thoughts on keeping it in the garage. I've had it out there for about a year now while I just use cobra taps and it's been OK.

I'm not sure if it'll get too hot with the tower on it and make the beer int he tower lines a bit funky. The garage gets a bit toasty in the summer. The big steel garage door faces south-west and in the summer the sun just beats on it all day. Think I'll have any problems with it?

Alot of people will rig fans to blow cold fridge air up into the tower to help keep it cool, so their first pull won't be warm. Some people even run fancy cooling lines up in there.

I didn't want to put my kegerator in my garage for this reason. It is nice and toasty in my garage in the summer, if it is 100 outside it will be 120 easy in the garage.

So it depends if you have cold air flowing up your draft tower or not. I don't so mine is inside.

I think you'd be fine as long as you use a computer fan to blow air up into the tower keeping it cool. You could also put some insulation in there around the lines to keep them a bit cooler as well.

Keep in mind that only a short section of the tower is going to have lines in it, most of the beverage line will remain in the colder section of the kegerator. You might have a bit of foam initially. Take a look at this thread as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cooling-tower-31406/

Be sure to use a forward sealing faucet or they will stick badly if you do not pull a pint every day. Either way, the cheapos will get sticky from the heat.

Personally, if it were me, I would stick with the cobra taps inside the fridge till I could bring the kegerator inside. Your beer will stay fresh and the taps won't stick.

Be sure to use a forward sealing faucet or they will stick badly if you do not pull a pint every day. Either way, the cheapos will get sticky from the heat.

Personally, if it were me, I would stick with the cobra taps inside the fridge till I could bring the kegerator inside. Your beer will stay fresh and the taps won't stick.

Yep.

And if you have the choice. I'd keep it inside the house. There isn't a great deal of mass to it and the walls are pretty thin. the compressor will be working alot.

I don't know about your situation but the garage is a one way passage on the way out of your life if you are married. It's a step above the basement in terms that basement banishment still keeps it in the house. If it gets relegated to the garage, it's a slippery slope out as a rummage sale item or a throwaway.

Name one thing that sits in your garage that ever gets elevated to house status.
I might even put myself in that list.:drunk:

I have an old commercial fridge that just moved outside to my patio because of the heat in my garage, it ran constantly and the cord got hot so I thought it would be best rather than have a compressor fail ! and I found a grill cover that fits it pretty good for those rainy times.

My garage is insulated and has a white door, it isn't ever more than 100degrees in there on a 100degree day. I use the chest freezer which has better insulation than the sanyo does, and use cobra taps.

I already have Perlicks for it so I'm fine on that front. By toasty warm I'm not talking about 100F+. I'll have to put a thermometer out there to see how hot it really gets. It's all insulated, except for the door. I should really get the door insulated since my master bedroom sits over the garage.

I tried the basement, but just can't find a good spot for it. The problem is I have a limited number of outlets in the basement. Might try moving around the freezer I have down there to see if I can fit them side by side.

Back