Nano Brewing in Restaurant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WriterWriter

Reaction score
Hey all,

(not sure if this is the right area. Sorry mods if it needs to be moved.)

I was wondering how realistic it would be to have your own beer sold on tap at a small take-out joint? We're talking one table and a counter with stools. Brewing would be done on a very small scale, and although profit would be the goal, the take-out place would be the real money generator. The beer would be icing on the cake if you will.

After reading about the hardships of opening up a microbrewery, I was thinking that something like this might be tied up in all sorts of red tape. Is it possible to brew beer in carboys in your basement then sell the product in a restaurant?

We're assuming here that the restaurant is game and has an alcohol license.

-WW

Not sure what the laws in Canada are.

A recent issue of BYO magazine had an article about 3 semi-successful nanobreweries. I think it could be feasible depending on the laws.

Hi,

Check out the alcohol and gaming commission of Ontario. As far as I can tell, all you need is a Brew Pub Endorsement(Free) and to pay taxes as follows:

Fees - Brew Pub Endorsement
A Liquor Sales Licensee holding a Brew Pub Endorsement is required to remit the following fee on all beer sold:
a) $0.0670 per litre on all beer sold on the premises where it is manufactured; and

b) $0.2430 per litre on beer sold on one other premise than the premises where it is manufactured if:
i) the Liquor Sales Licence holder has at least a 51 per cent interest in the business carried on at the other premises; and
ii) a liquor sales Licence applies to the other premises.

c) $0.2430 per litre on beer sold in accordance with any caterer’s endorsement attached to the Liquor Sales Licence holder’s licence.

I am sure there is more too it, give them a call. But hopefully this is a start.

Good Luck.

Andrew

..::Edit:.. See you mentioned brewing in your basement, I am pretty sure it would need to be done on site.

Back