Mashing Out Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
My directions are a bit confusing. It says to add 200 degree water to the mash until it hit 170 in the mash. Following this comes lautering and then sparging. Do I understand this correctly? If so how much 200 degree water would I need for a 5 gallon batch?

Thanks in advance

My directions are a bit confusing. It says to add 200 degree water to the mash until it hit 170 in the mash. Following this comes lautering and then sparging. Do I understand this correctly? If so how much 200 degree water would I need for a 5 gallon batch?

Thanks in advance

I usually add the water I lost due to grain absorption. Usually I lose a gallon, so I add 1 gallon of boiling water for the Mash out.

The real answer to that is that it depends on the amount of grain, the mash thickness, the mash temperature, and the temperature of the added water.
I also use boiling water, and the amount varies from about 3 - 5 quarts (or until the mash tun starts to overflow).
Promash has a simple calculator on the mash schedule page which is pretty accurate.

-a.

Back