Founders Oatmeal Chocolate/coffee stout..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this on Saturday...it was my first ever AG recipe. :ban: I made a bit of a boo-boo in my newbishness and accidentally threw my nibs into the mash. :eek: Think I should add some to secondary?

My OG was 1.090 at 5 gallons...a bit over target. I'm glad that I didn't top off with water to thin it down though. I made a starter with WLP001, fermentation took some time to get going but is going crazy right now. Hopefully I can get a decent FG out of it.

I'm thinking that I may put my Kona in empty tea bags before adding to secondary. That way I don't get loose grounds and can fish the bags out.

I had 3/4 gallon left from my mash that I couldn't bring myself to throw out. Methinks I will top it off to 1 gallon, give it a 60 minute boil with some hops laying around and see what happens. :D

100%:D

From BYO:

13.2 lbs 2-row pale malt
22 ozs flaked oats
1 lb Chocolate malt (350 L)
12 ozs roast barley malt (450 L)
9 ozs debittered black malt
7 ozs crystal malt (120 L)
2 ozs ground Sumatran coffee
2 ozs ground Kona coffee
2.5 ozs dark bittersweet bakers chocolate
1.5 ozs unsweetened chocolate baking nibs (no idea what this is exactly but I used 100% cacao unsweetened bakers chocolate which I would think would work and is in the grocery)
14.3 AAU Nugget pellet hops 60 min (1 oz @ 13% AA) (I used Yakima Magnum of the same AA)
2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops 30 min (1/2 oz @ 5% AA)
2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops 0 min
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient 15 min
1/2 tsp Irish moss 15 min
WLP 001 or Wyeast 1056

OG 1.078 FG 1.020 ABV 7.5%

Single step infusion mash for 60 minutes at 155 F . They say to use 3.75 gallons of 172 degree water to stabilize at 155 but I did my own calculations and added a bit of mash water because with so much grain it was way too thick IMO @ 3.75 gallons.

Add the Sumatran coffee and the two kinds of chocolate at flameout, cool the wort and aerate well. Ferment at 68 F to completion and then add the Kona to a secondary and dry hop w/ coffee for one week. Bottle as usual.

I'll let you know how mine turns out.

Good Luck,
Alan

I can attest to this recipe...IT ROCKS! I substituted Chinook for my 60 min addition.

I'm sitting in my office sipping the last one of my Founders clones and I am really bummed out. Nearly one year in the bottle and this stuff is incredibly good. For the folks that are concerned about head retention, I would recommend an aggressive pour if bottled. It'll keep a decent head with nice lace. This thing was really a pita to to brew but I guess I will have to do another one. Anybody that wants to try one, if yoou like this sort of stout, you won't be disappointed!

regards,
Alan

Has anyone attempted a Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout clone? I have made FBS and KBS, but this time around I want to add maple and woodford reserve. I m unsure how much maple to use though. Any help would be awesome since I have never used maple syrup in a stout.

Not I.

I just made my second attempt and am currently turning it into a Kentucky Breakfast Stout. If you email the brewery they may give some info.about when they add the ample syrup or look around here for how much and when maple syrup has been added to stouts and give it a shot.

I don't think they actually add any maple. They just age it in Canadien Maple Barrels. I would add some in the secondary then use it as your primer when bottling/kegging. Not sure how much though.

Alright, I finally brought this brew to life last night, and she's now bubbling happily away in a cold tub! A couple notes from the brewbook tell me that beersmith calculated a 1.106 OG for me, I ended up with a 1.084 preboil and a 1.078 postboil OG so, that seemed a little better. I followed DubbelDach's recipe more than the others, used Chinook and Williamette at a calculated 33.4 IBU's and ended up with a 6 gallon batch. Fermenter smells heavenly, sample tasted great! Not that messy yet, but we'll see how it goes and either way I'm really looking forward to this one!

Alright, I finally brought this brew to life last night, and she's now bubbling happily away in a cold tub! A couple notes from the brewbook tell me that beersmith calculated a 1.106 OG for me, I ended up with a 1.084 preboil and a 1.078 postboil OG so, that seemed a little better. I followed DubbelDach's recipe more than the others, used Chinook and Williamette at a calculated 33.4 IBU's and ended up with a 6 gallon batch. Fermenter smells heavenly, sample tasted great! Not that messy yet, but we'll see how it goes and either way I'm really looking forward to this one!

Good luck. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Its funny, I use my wife to taste my homebrews and she is not a beer lover like we all are. She likes the non hoppy brews like brown ales etc. so if I give her an IPA to taste then I know she should hate it.

With the Founders clone, she said, and I quote "It taste like some frat boy spilled his beer in my coffee"! I can't think of a better description.

Awesome stuff. I need to brew more but it is a PITA and I have to rest up for it.

Regards,
Alan

I don't think they actually add any maple. They just age it in Canadien Maple Barrels. I would add some in the secondary then use it as your primer when bottling/kegging. Not sure how much though.

This is correct. I've had both CBS and BS and there is a noticeable difference from aging in the maple barrels. I doubt adding syrup to the original recipe would replicate the real thing.

Ok, I'm starting to wonder about this beer a little bit. I was hoping to get the gravity down real good, but so far no luck. Brewed on 6-4 I had a 1.078 gravity and now 2+ weeks later it has slowed down to a screeching halt. Last week it was at 1.034 so I repitched some s-05 dry. Now 1 week later I still have krausen on top, but gravity is still at 1.034!

What do you guys think??

i made a boo boo. i have been improvising
i used only 3.5 oz coffee, but i added it all during last 2 minutes of boil

how much stronger do you guys think coffee aroma is going to be

I made a batch of this last year for my annual camping trip. Most of it was consumed around a campfire but I had a few bottles left over. Of those I won 3 silver, 1 gold, and one best of show in 3 different comps. :ban: One thing is for sure...the bottles that entered tasted quite different from when I was camping. Some were 7 months and again at about 11 months of age for comps. The coffee flavor mellowed considerably but the chocolate taste remained. The flavors actually flip flopped...the coffee was stronger when young but diminished nicely as it aged letting the chocolate shine.

I changed when the coffees, cacao, and chocolate were added and added extra cacao. I can't tell ya my secret because...uh...it's my secret due in large part by a mistake. :p I will say that I never boiled the coffee and added some to the mash instead. I also cold brewed the remaining coffee and added it to secondary, without the grounds.

I brewed another batch of this for this year's camping trip (tomorrow). An error on my part caused my gravity to be a bit lower that it should have been. In my drunken stupor, I only added the Nugget at 60 for bittering, forgetting all other hop additions. It still tastes great though, much better than I expected.

I mashed the grains again and got 4 gallons of wort. I added some of my remaining nugget and wound up with 3 gallons of a mild black ale that still has a strong presence of the coffee that was in the mash.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to sum up my experiences with this awesome recipe. Definitely stick a few bottles away to age.

This thread got me excited to give this recipe a try with some recommended changes - upping the malt bill and cold pressing the coffee. Also I'm using WLP004 (Irish Ale) yeast instead of WLP001 California Ale. A little lower anticipated attenuation, but it should still be great.

I'm brewing this Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes and what I did versus what I planned to do. :cross:

for recipes that will produce so much oil, what is the best correction?

cold crash before racking to secondary to allow the oil to layer at the top? the same again before bottling?

Fired this one up yesterday for my second AG.

I mashed with 4 gallons and sparged with another 4. I had a lot more loss during mash because I ended up with just under 6 in my pot. I added about another gallon. I think I also lost more due to evap since it was colder with a nice breeze since I ended up with just about 4 gallon in my carboy with a grav of 1.086! I haven't pitched yet since I just started the starter yesterday and wanted to give it time to get going esp since the OG is so high.

Now I'm contemplating adding a gallon of water and stirring the crap out of it with my wine wisk then pitching...

I'm thinking if I don't water it down its going to need ages to mellow out...

Any advice?

Took a reading two weeks or so ago and it was down to 1.028. I gave it stir and let it sit. It started bubbling again last week. Gave it a reading today and were down to 1.014!!

It tastes awesome, smells delicious, and is going into bottles tonight!

Latest posts

Back