Aeration System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Going to be purchasing a aeration system today either from morebeer or Williams.

Just was wondering if its difficult to get the tube aeration system (the one from morebeer) to stay in the carboy or would it be better to go with the aeration wand from Williams.

It seems that people prefer the William's version because the stone stays on the bottom of the carboy. I have the Morebeer version and while the tube doesn't float because it is rolled between uses it does not fall to the bottom. I really don't see that it is a large problem though.

Going to be purchasing a aeration system today either from morebeer or Williams.

Just was wondering if its difficult to get the tube aeration system (the one from morebeer) to stay in the carboy or would it be better to go with the aeration wand from Williams.

IMHO, if you are going to aerate, you might as well oxygenate. The $50 kit from Williams is one of the better ones around and I've been happy with mine.

. I have the Morebeer version and while the tube doesn't float because it is rolled between uses it does not fall to the bottom. .

The answer to this problem is to keep the tube straight between uses and not, roll it back up.

The plastic tube develops a memory, if left coiled up it tends to coil back up, if left hanging straight it tends to remain straight.

When I first got mine, I hung a small amount of weight on the end and let it hang for a week before I used it. If you were in a hurry you could speed the process up by using a hair dryer to soften the plastic hose up and let it hang over night.

Since I let mine hang straight in between uses I have absolutley no problem at all putting the stone on the bottom.

I see no need to spend the extra money.

All you need to make the wand is a 3 foot piece of 1/4" copper or ss tubing and a short section of hose.

my tubing goes down just fine. and I coil it up when done. ;)

I have the non-wand type, I got a good deal on it secondhand, and I do find myself wishing I had the wand type. Obviously, the deeper in the wort you get it, the better transfer of O2 you get (since the bubbles rise further), and in darker beers it's hard to see the stone and verify it's at the bottom.

My gut feeling also tells me that if you actually stirred the wort with the wand it might be marginally more effective than just dropping the stone to the bottom and leaving it there.

Back