hop seeds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't want seeds...they're from the male plant. The hops we all use are from the female plant. ;)

Seeds are from the female plant, however hop seeds are rarely true to type i.e. they are a hybrid of 2 different strains.
A single male can fertilise many female plants for miles around, this'll ruin your crop as you want the unfertilised flowers (cones) for your beer. As you don't know what male plant has fertilised the female, you'll be taking a gamble on any hops that you grow - the worst of which would be growing male plants.

Seeds are from the female plant, however hop seeds are rarely true to type i.e. they are a hybrid of 2 different strains.
A single male can fertilise many female plants for miles around, this'll ruin your crop as you want the unfertilised flowers (cones) for your beer. As you don't know what male plant has fertilised the female, you'll be taking a gamble on any hops that you grow - the worst of which would be growing male plants.
For what it's worth, my hop book states all rhizomes sold are female plants and to keep the male plants away from the females or the hops produced will be seedy...;)

Almost all hop seeds available are from ornamental hops. Most of the others are tea hops, which have almost no bittering potential.

Back