Can't get top off of Sanke Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planenut

Reaction score
I saw a video with a C clip that holds the dip tube in but this one doesn't appear to have a C clip yet I cant get the Brass part in the center to unscrew.

I was able to press on the inside and release the residual pressure.

Also I looked and there are two holes each in the bottom and top curled edges so I should need to drill any more. Or should it have more than 2?

Any suggestions?

I have no idea what you are talking about, but I would love to help. First, I know of no brass "anything" on a Sanke keg. Second, they don't unscrew so much as they are just turned a little into a key-way. If you could get a picture of what you are talking about or explain it a little better I think I can help you out. :)

There should be a retaining ring (clip) right on the lip. You have to pull this out (Pain in the a$$), then the spear just twists and pulls out.

Exactly! I use a small screwdriver (like a sewing machine screwdriver or those little clip screwdrivers businesses hand out). It fits perfectly in the key way/ways (some have two) and if you stick in into the first layer of the ring and push out the ring will expose itself. Then you slip the driver behind and it slides under and around the ring removing it. Then turn the spear assembly and lift out like Special Hops said. However, there are different types of Sanke connections (the most common being "D"). If you have another type (Bass, some import brands) they do screw out and release in other ways. I am curious as by what you described planenut, so I need a picture or better description to tell you for sure.

Sorry I'm so slow to respond. Out on a trip. I'll take a pic when I get back home tonight and post tonight or tomorrow am.

For what it's worth, It's a Guiness Stout Keg.

Thanks

It is probably not a type D then. You may consider turning it in for a type D so you can use a standard commercial Sanke tap on it. Unless you have a Guinness tap the keg will be useless as a serving container.

I have had kegs before that didn't have retaining ring. I had to build a special tool and put a big cheater bar on a pipe wrench to unscrew the thing. Even then I had one that had a secondary holding clip inside and the only way I've figured out that I could have gotten it apart was by drilling through the neck of the collar. I cut the lid off the old way (by hand) instead of using my spiffy jig.

Well, my pax are going to be late so I won't get home til around midnight...
Pics probably won't come til tomorrow late morning.

For what it's worth, Was going to cut off the top anyway with a side grinder and use as a keggle but it will be easier to get it off while attached as opposed to after it is removed. I thought I would weld a couple washers on and have it as a lid.

Might use it w/out a ball valve and just siphon for the first few batches. Is there any reason not to do that?

Ok, here are some pics..

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

Well that one looks even funkier than the one I had. I think you may be at a loss for reusing the top as a lid. It is really easy to find a lid that will work though, just take some measurements and go to a second hand store or even wal-mart.

Anyway I'd suggest letting the pressure out, then use the angle grinder to cut out the top, using the skirt as a guide. Or you can build a jig that fits on the outside of the collar to keep you the same distance all the way around. They aren't all that hard to do by hand if you have a fairly round skirt on the top.

I released the pressure yesterday, it had a fair amount.

I'll probably play around with it over the weekend (I have another trip out today). If I don't have any luck, I'll just cut it off.

Thanks

Yup, that is a different style of Sanke alright, lol. Since you are cutting the lid off you will be alright, like others have said and I am sure you know for yourself. I would leave it in and cut the lid, then cut off the spear from the inside of the "lid". Then when you weld washers to it you will have a lid. Are you IC chilling? If so you could cutout holes for it since the only time you should be using the lid is while not boiling. I'm just saying, lol. Awesome keggle though. Is it 15 L or 15.5 gallons?

Yes, I am I have seen one taken apart and there is fine threading between the brass and the stainless (or should be based on what I saw). You have to have some sort of a tap that can withstand the pressure of unscrewing it. In his case cutting the lid and then cutting the spear off would be the best bet for a lid fabrication IMHO. I don't think you'll ever get that brass out of the stainless without a lot of hard work. Remember guys, Sankes are usually cleaned without opening them at all at the brewery or keg company so types like this were never meant to be opened until a seal failed or expired. Easiest to get into are the Sanke in big kegs. Corny still rules the 5 gallon niche from what I see.

Yup, that is a different style of Sanke alright, lol. Since you are cutting the lid off you will be alright, like others have said and I am sure you know for yourself. I would leave it in and cut the lid, then cut off the spear from the inside of the "lid". Then when you weld washers to it you will have a lid. Are you IC chilling? If so you could cutout holes for it since the only time you should be using the lid is while not boiling. I'm just saying, lol. Awesome keggle though. Is it 15 L or 15.5 gallons?

I would like to get a chiller down the road but for now just plan on 5 gallon batches and an ice bath. Worried a little about the massive quantity of steel and if it is going to make it harder to cool. Last batch was a 10 gallon aluminum turkey pot.

I think it is a 15 gallon but will have to research and or test..

Man I am not thinking today, you are so right, lol. It has been one of those days. 50 liter is just smaller than 15.5 gallons so yes!!! I'm tarded.

I would like to get a chiller down the road but for now just plan on 5 gallon batches and an ice bath. Worried a little about the massive quantity of steel and if it is going to make it harder to cool. Last batch was a 10 gallon aluminum turkey pot.

I think it is a 15 gallon but will have to research and or test..

It will make it much harder to cool. The base on the keg is large mass to cool just unto itself. I would cool it first by hitting it with the garden hose just to knock the intense heat off then ice bath.

I really don't think a keggle is the best thing to use without a chiller. Its just to much mass to cool and the weight and size is another consideration. I wouldn't want to lift it with 5 gallons of near boiling wort in it either.

Just wanted to add that I mist the base while the chiller is going and it throws steam and some serious heat for a while. It knocks maybe 5-7 minutes off the cool to pitch temps even with a 50 Ft IC

Just as a piece of trivia - that looks like a "U" system keg valve. Guiness, Harp and a couple other UK breweries use those valves. Its likely a 50l, which is about 13.2-13.5 US gal.

I was able to get this one off. I used a chisel and hammer and just kept driving it in a counterclockwise direction. It took quite a bit of force to get it started but eventually it will move.

IMG_1500.jpg

Back