Yeast Starter - DME out of date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigears

Reaction score
I've smacked a couple of Wyeast packs yesterday with the intention of making yeast starters. I've just noticed my DME is dated Best Before 31st August. I'm wondering how much I should be concerned by the Best Before Date. The DME has been stored in the fridge since I bought it several months ago. I won't have time to get more before I brew. I've often heard of people using out of date kits/extract so should I even worry if I'm just using it for a starter?

I'm going to be brewing an all grain ale during the week - if it's not an option to use the DME could I :

1. Boil the first runnings from the mash in a small pot (a couple of litres for example), cool it and use this to make the starters? This would mean that there would only be about 2/2.5 hours for the starters to ferment.

2. If I do boil the first runnings in a pot do I just need to boil long enough to kill bacteria, say 15 minutes?

I'd say that if the smack packs enlarge, you should be ready to go. It might just take a little longer to get it started.

Other than clumping issues, I've never heard of DME going bad. I guess it could, but it's never had the chance around here.

Even if it had gone "bad," it wouldn't be due to bacterial or wild yeast contamination. However, the normal boil you do for starters should take care of any issue.

In other words, you ought to be just fine.

TL

I agree, Im not sure what would really go bad. It should still have the sugars needed, there could be an off taste but if you decant before pitching that won't be an issue.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. :mug:

I'll go ahead ans use it. The Best Before date may well just be a legal requirement.

Back