Brewing Beer / Making Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer / Wine, Make / Brew

• Brew Wine

• Make Wine

Results are only viewable after voting.

kb9vzh

Reaction score
While I was on a flight from Baltimore, MD to Chicago, IL (United 99) today I got on a discussion about Beer and Wine. What a perfect way to kill the 1 1/2 hours of wasted time. A question came up that I had trouble with. I am not into the wine thing had to think a little. I was hoping for some help. The question asked was, So you Brew Beer and they Make Wine, or is it you Brew Beer and they Brew Wine? I know for a fact that the process of making beer is brewing, and also creating wine is a brewing process. But I always here the saying "Wine Making". Which is correct? Wine Making or Wine Brewing???

Well, I think you have to think about the process.

Brew:
1. to make (beer, ale, etc.) by steeping, boiling, and fermenting malt and hops.
2. to make or prepare (a beverage, as tea) by mixing, steeping, soaking, or boiling a solid in water.
3. to concoct, mix, or cook (a beverage or food, esp. one containing unmeasured or unusual ingredients): She brewed a pot of soup from the leftovers.
4. to contrive, plan, or bring about: to brew mischief.

When I make wine, usually there is no boiling or even steeping. It's a cold process, usually but there are exceptions. To me, brew connotes cooking.

Yeah I would think that winemaking is generally not 'brewing' because there is not the boiling/steeping/mashing process.

Back