What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jtkratzer said:
Me? No there were one or two, but I knew almost everyone there. Got rave reviews. They're people I've known for years. We had a blast. And I didn't pay for the beer.

Oh sorry didnt read your post, mine was for a wedding also, went great though

Drank too much last night. Racked RIS to 2ndary, 11%+, soaking with some oak, vanilla, und bourbon. Tastes mighty strong! Hefe will be brewed on the 4th.

Took Second Place with my Hef in the German Wheat/Rye category at the San Diego County Fair Home Brew Competition :ban:

Toy4Rick

Racked a blonde off the strawberries today. Whipped up a gelatin mixture for the first time and dumped it in. Will also cold crash for the first time now that I have an extra fridge :rockin:

On one of the hottest days of the summer I clean, remoced the labels and sanitized 20 cases of bottles. Using my son's plastic pool made it much easier. Now all I have to do is decide what to fill these with.

Brewed an ale that pretty much wont fit any style. Too dark for an IPA, too hoppy for a Porter, too low ABV for a heavy, but just right for me. An old recipe revived from my early years.

I had a ton of fun today. I haven't been brewing or for that matter drinking over the last few months due to severve pain from a car accident I was in ( I was rear ended by a concrete truck ). Well today was the first brew day in 3 months. My asst. brewer John came over and we put together a DIPA recipe that came out great. We hit all of our numbers on the dot and I'm still hitting in the mid 80's for my mash eff. Check this recipe out tell me what you think.

enamel stripper DIPA
Imperial IPA
Type: All Grain Date: 6/26/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal Brewer: Aaron Schecter
Boil Size: 8.70 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Aaron's mlt
End of Boil Volume 7.02 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 69.26 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 86.6 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 87.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.6 %
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3 3.6 %
1.00 oz Warrior [16.70 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 4 53.1 IBUs
12.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5 5.5 %
1.00 oz Warrior [16.70 %] - Boil 37.0 min Hop 6 39.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 22.0 min Hop 7 23.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 2.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 2.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 2.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.0 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.7 %
Bitterness: 115.5 IBUs Calories: 236.0 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 5.3 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 12.0 oz
Sparge Water: 6.19 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 17.25 qt of water at 163.0 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 6.19 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 3.93 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 3.93 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

Created with BeerSmith

We also said screw it while we're at it we bottled 5 gallons of my first mead which I have been babying for the last year, let me tell you what 6 months ago tasted like rocket fuel turned into a phenomonal mead. What a great day I love brewing and today confirmed it.

Made five gallons of Edwort's Apfelwein, finished cleaning the fermentor from the batch of blonde ale I kegged yesterday, and began cleaning a 25-30 gallon stainless steel tank I was given that I hope to convert into a fermentor.

Hoping to finish wiring the Spa panel tonight and maybe hunt down some wire for the heating element. I'll give the E-Keggle a test run without the control panel and see how it goes. Need to find a neutral lug unless splitting the strands into 2 groups and wiring each group into the neutral bar is Kosher technique....

I made a starter for my hefe I'll be brewing on Wednesday. The WLP300 spilled out a bit when I took the cap off.

I made a starter for my hefe I'll be brewing on Wednesday. The WLP300 spilled out a bit when I took the cap off.

I just brewed a Hefe with WLP300 today. I had to pitch it a little warm (78 degrees) though. I couldn't get my temp to come down quick enough and I had to leave. Cant wait to wake up tomorrow and have my closet smell like banana (I hope) though.

kegged 2 kegs of cream of 3 crops and 1 keg dunkelweizen, getting the fermenters ready for the hefeweizen and special bitter i'm brewing next

Used one my first yeast slants to create a starter (a very small starter) as I step it up to a pitchable volume.

Went to the backyard to survey the ongoing Japanese Beetle damage to my hops, which is getting worse, for the record.

Spent some time refurbishing a Schmidling Malt Mill that a friend gave me recently. Among other things, the base was cracked in to, so I fashioned a new one out a polyethylene kitchen cutting board. Took longer than expected (don't all DIY projects go long?), but it's done and looks like it'll be perfect.

Now, to finish off a long day, I'm working on the yeast starter for my Hoppin' Mad IPA which will be brewed on July 4.

Woke up to a small mess to clean up this morning. My hefe I brewed yesterday blew my airlock off my carboy. Im just glad It blew the air lock and didnt blow up the carboy. I wasnt expecting such a quick, vigorous, fermentation since I pitched my yeast about 9 degrees to warm. The mess didnt smell as much like bananas as I was hoping.

Woke up to a small mess to clean up this morning. My hefe I brewed yesterday blew my airlock off my carboy. Im just glad It blew the air lock and didnt blow up the carboy. I wasnt expecting such a quick, vigorous, fermentation since I pitched my yeast about 9 degrees to warm. The mess didnt smell as much like bananas as I was hoping.

This is why I am putting a blow off tube on my bucket when I brew my hefe tomorrow! :fro:

Ordered some caps and DME from Midwest Brewing. Damn shipping is expensive. Why cant my LHBS carry colored caps!!

Bought some yeast for my Saturday brew day after taking 3+ months off because of work and moving, and I'm going to get a starter going pretty soon. I can't wait!

I have been observing my first brew ever bubble away after 18 hours from brew day festivities. Everything looks good. I used the Kit 4 from Morebeer! and I was ultra diligent in cleaning everything. I had my wort cooled to 72 in 25 minutes with cold Idaho water and the copper wort chiller. I know time will tell the real results, but it's fun to watch it go!:ban:

I drank the hell out of some beer. I, single handedly, have committed the act of genocide on entire yeast cultures. F everything, because I don't give a rip. You are tasty and keep me from turning on my fellow humans. Not that I would ever try to kill 1 or 2...but should I ever be given a button that would take you all with me...let's just say you better have one too...

FWIW this has been a ****ty day.

Zamial said:
I drank the hell out of some beer. I, single handedly, have committed the act of genocide on entire yeast cultures. F everything, because I don't give a rip. You are tasty and keep me from turning on my fellow humans. Not that I would ever try to kill 1 or 2...but should I ever be given a button that would take you all with me...let's just say you better have one too...

FWIW this has been a ****ty day.

You drank yeast cultures? Now that's HARDCORE.

Bottled 5 gallons of pale ale (my own recipe), and drank about a sixer of my IPA while watching the fireworks display in Sand Springs, Oklahoma. Life is good today...

Brewed 6 gallons my Badfish IIPA (my own recipe) for the Brewfest in September..... 4 different varieties of hops, 2 oz of hops per gallon, and 22 lbs of barley. Oh yea !!!

Replaced the beverage line in fridge, added the chalk board tap handle I got for my bday, added my hefe to the tap on the fridge, and last but not least dry hopped 5gal of my Belgian/American Pale Ale with 1.25oz Amarillo.

Saw batch of aventinus clone go from dud to stud at day 5, Immaculate fermentation? I appreciated reading about similar stories and decided to let it run it's course with a little aeration and time.

Threw a carboy in the fridge for my first cold crash attempt. I say attempt, but if I eff this up then I've got some real problems! How hard can it be to cool down some beer. :D

davekippen said:
Threw a carboy in the fridge for my first cold crash attempt. I say attempt, but if I eff this up then I've got some real problems! How hard can it be to cool down some beer. :D

Someone said use aluminum foil, because during cold crash your airlocks sanitizer can suck back

Found a nice white layer of mold (pellicle?) on top of my starter of washed wlp005! I guess I better bottle my ESB tomorrow so I can get some more of my "house" yeast ready for my pumpkin ale.

I didn't do a damn thing. I drank that beer I made and am now wondering where the damn remote went.. Kids is my guess...

bought a bunch of expensive citra and Amarillo to ensure my supply for a couple beers I really like. Purchased some 2x8's and other parts to put a collar on my ferm freezer so it can hold 2 BB's, maybe 3, Its so close, im going to have to see if i can finagle something.

Back