Effects of evaporation on beer flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llarian

Reaction score
So I finally have a beer I made a while ago starting to get ready to drink after bottling. I ended up overshooting my OG target substantially on account of having nearly a gallon more evaporation then I intended.

What surprised me is that I got nearly the FG I was originally shooting for (a couple points higher, but the OG was about 8 points higher than intended), so it ended up nearly a full percent ABV higher than I was aiming for.

None of this is bad really, but the flavor is not at all what I was going for. It was meant to be an IPA, but I'm getting almost a molassas taste on the palate, something fairly dark that I would associate with a scotch beer perhaps.

Is this a factor of the evaporation plus higher OG? The only grains that went into it were 2-row, CaraPils, and a tiny bit of 60L crystal and light munich.

The OG target was 1.059 and I got 1.068. The FG target was 1.015 and I ended up with 1.016.

Next time I'll top boil some water and top off the fermenter, but I'm a bit curious as to why the end result is what it is now.

-Dylan

Yeah, figured that's what it was. I was just a bit surprised that the carmelization was so pronounced due (I suspect) to evaporation. I often do 90 minute boils without that effect, but it was windy this particular day and so I ended up with a more concentrated wort. I suppose that made the carmelization more in the forefront of the palate.

-D

Back