Is it safe to soak Printed bottles such as rogue or stone in PBW?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keepitcold

Reaction score
I have a bunch of these bottles but there is dried up yeast and beer at the bottom so i plan on soaking them for an hour or so. Will it take off all the ink???

a warm PBW / Oxyclean soak should take everything off of the bottle. It may take an overnight soak, but it will do it.

If you want to keep the labels in tact and on the bottle, then just use some hot water and shake like crazy. A few shakes and you should see the contents disappear.

keepitcold said:
I actually want to keep the print just not the dried beer inside

I soaked some rouge bottles in oxyclean for days. The labels don't come off with just oxy. They just get clean.

I soaked a Stone bottle in PBW for days(started warm, ended cold). The inked label didn't come off, just nice and clean like flyfisherwes.

Thanks guys . I just got a case of empty southern tier pumpking bottles from my job.

They aren't printed on like Rogue or Stone. They are just a label sticker. I just peel the label sticker off the Pumking bottles and then soak the rest of the bottle in oxyclean (there will be some sticker adhesive residue).

I think everyone thinks you meant normal labels, with my experience no the lasered on labels on bottles such as rouge and stone do not come off when cleaning using pbw.

I think everyone thinks you meant normal labels, with my experience no the lasered on labels on bottles such as rouge and stone do not come off when cleaning using pbw.

Same here. I soak my bottles overnight in Oxyclean and it takes off the glued on labels with ease (most of the time they are just floating in there the next day) but the Rogue and Stone bottles don't lose any of their labeling.

Sorry about not being specific on what kinda labels they are yea the bottles are inked directly on the glass

BrewThruYou said:
They aren't printed on like Rogue or Stone. They are just a label sticker. I just peel the label sticker off the Pumking bottles and then soak the rest of the bottle in oxyclean (there will be some sticker adhesive residue).

+1 Oxy won't touch these labels either...

FWIW mixing some muriatic acid and with water and soaking WILL take the ink off those labels!

And it removes Oxi residue for those people who use too much in highly alkaline water too...

For removing the plastic film adhesive lables like Stone, fill the bottle with as hot a water as you can handle bare handed let sit for a few minutes to get the glass really hot, then the labels just peel right off along with the adhesive. If the label leave some adhesive behind the glass isn't hot enough. For ink/paint on glass labels a 4x strength StarSan and an overnight soak removes most of them. Heat cured epoxy paint, like Corona, doesn't work though.

For removing the plastic film adhesive lables like Stone, fill the bottle with as hot a water as you can handle bare handed let sit for a few minutes to get the glass really hot, then the labels just peel right off along with the adhesive. If the label leave some adhesive behind the glass isn't hot enough. For ink/paint on glass labels a 4x strength StarSan and an overnight soak removes most of them. Heat cured epoxy paint, like Corona, doesn't work though.

The stone and rogue bottles we are talking about are painted, not adhesive labeled.

FWIW mixing some muriatic acid and with water and soaking WILL take the ink off those labels!

And it removes Oxi residue for those people who use too much in highly alkaline water too...

Good to know. I always get that damn Oxi residue with San Antonio water; it's hard as hell and full of calcium and limestone deposits.

Back