Question for anyone who has brewed recipes from "Beer Captured"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpone

Reaction score
Most of the recipes give recomendations on when the beer will peak and is ready to drink. I made a belgian triple that says it will peak between 2-6 months. It primed in the secondary for 6 weeks before it was bottled. It has been in the bottle for a month. My question is: Does the 6 weeks in the secondary count towards the aging process (if thats the case then then my beer is 2 1/2 months old and ready to drink) or does it mean the aging process starts when it is bottled.....which means I need to go another month. It wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I bottled it in 1 litre easycaps and don't want to waste any if its not ready.

Generally speaking, ageing (or cellaring) is from the time the beer is bottled.

It may be sufficiently carbonated sooner - and drinkable, but the flavors and characteristics of the beer will continue to change and improve with age up through the ideal recommended.

kenpone said:
It primed in the secondary for 6 weeks before it was bottled.

The book demonstrates a confusing (I think) usage of the word prime. It outlines two separate steps it calls priming - the first is a repitch of yeast in the secondary a few days prior to bottling, and the second - and more familiar usage of the term- is the addition of sugar at bottling to carbonate the beer.

Initially the bottled beer needs to be kept at a warmer temp to facilitate carbonation and then transferred to a cooler location for the extended "cellaring".

Brew it again. Now, start drinking one bottle at a time whenever and experience the character changes through the life of the batch. Try to draw it out a year (good luck). When it hits your extra favorite flavor profile, that's when you start drinking your second batch like mad!

kenpone said:
Most of the recipes give recomendations on when the beer will peak and is ready to drink. I made a belgian triple that says it will peak between 2-6 months. It primed in the secondary for 6 weeks before it was bottled. It has been in the bottle for a month. My question is: Does the 6 weeks in the secondary count towards the aging process (if thats the case then then my beer is 2 1/2 months old and ready to drink) or does it mean the aging process starts when it is bottled.....which means I need to go another month. It wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I bottled it in 1 litre easycaps and don't want to waste any if its not ready.

Brugse Tripel
Primary: 7 days at 70°F
Secondary: 6 weeks at 70°F
Bottle Condition: 6 weeks at 70°F
Cellar: 1 year at 51-55°F

Good luck and let us know how it turns out,
Wild

The authors of Beer Captured actually run the LHBS around here. I asked them the question and it's after its bottled. The time in the secondary doesn't count. The times also given are relatively conservative. Most beers last even longer than stated.

Back