American Pale Ale 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcarter1227

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Notty
Yeast Starter
NOPE
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
NOPE
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
12 Copper to Red to Lt Brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 @ 65 degrees F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days dry hop
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Nice hoppy aroma, piney citrusy hop flavor and aromas followed by a semi sweet malt
This is a very simple pale for a brewer of any level of experience. While I enjoy doing my All Grain beers, I still brew this beer from time to time. The plus is that you only have to boil the beer for 15 minutes and you are done. So we are looking at a 2 hour brew day including clean up with a wonderful tasting hoppy yet sweet caramel flavored pale ale. And since its extract and with such a big hop bill you only need to boil the extract for 15 MINUTES! :ban:

Pours a nice copper/reddish color with a 1 finger head that sticks around leaving a nice lacing down the glass.

Grain/Extracts

6lbs Light Dry Malt Extract added to the boil
1lbs Crystal 60 add the grains to the water and steep until the water temp reaches 170 and pull them out.

Hops

2.5oz Cascade 7.5% AA at 15 min
1oz Cascade 7.5%aa at 5 min
.50 oz Cascade 7.5% at flameout
1oz Cascade 7.5% dry hop 7 days after primary fermentation has wrapped up.

This beer is great with notty as I typically use notty on my beers I want to ferment on the cooler side. I imagine any clean fermenting yeast would do well. If you want some fruity esters I have done this recipe twice with s-04.

pale ale.jpg

Just bottled another batch of this tonight. I dry hopped it this time with 2oz of cascade and it smells wonderful.

Wondering what this would be like with Citra hops? Ill keep experimenting and keep updating this thread.

how much water do you start with? do you start with the full volume or do you top up after?

I agree that this is a great recipe for a quick and simple brewday. I've brewed 2 batches of this with amarillo hops (that's what I had around), and both have turned out awesome. It's also a quick drinker. No extended aging necessary.

So do you start the boil with 5.5 gal of water? Or are you adding water at the end of the boil to reach OG?

So do you start the boil with 5.5 gal of water? Or are you adding water at the end of the boil to reach OG?

i start with the full volume, with a 15 minute boil you are losing very little water due to boil off and also are getting a better hop utilization.

1900 hits, anyone had good results with this like i have? i just cracked open a bottle from 6 months ago, still tastes just as great as when i first brewed it.

I bottled this about 2 weeks ago. Tasted great at bottling. I'll probably stick a few in the fridge today to test out.

If I use like 3 gallons for the boil, do I need to boil or steep longer? Any down side to boiling or up side to boiling a little longer?

This is a very simple pale for a brewer of any level of experience. While I enjoy doing my All Grain beers, I still brew this beer from time to time. The plus is that you only have to boil the beer for 15 minutes and you are done. So we are looking at a 2 hour brew day including clean up with a wonderful tasting hoppy yet sweet caramel flavored pale ale. And since its extract and with such a big hop bill you only need to boil the extract for 15 MINUTES! :ban:

Pours a nice copper/reddish color with a 1 finger head that sticks around leaving a nice lacing down the glass.

Grain/Extracts

1lbs Crystal 60 add the grains to the water and steep until the water temp reaches 170 and pull them out.

Hops

This beer is great with notty as I typically use notty on my beers I want to ferment on the cooler side. I imagine any clean fermenting yeast would do well. If you want some fruity esters I have done this recipe twice with s-04.
Thanks for the recipe Carter! This looks awesome. Can I get this as a kit? or do you buy the ingredients individually? Im really really new...and not too familiar with ingredients and procedures... I could almost tase that picture you posted! Thanks again...

Finally brewed this recipe, my question is this, did anyone use a hop bag???
I did not and after the boil I strained out the softball sized hops leftovers. Should I have left the hops in the fermenter and strained out before bottleing? I hope I did'nt mess it up. Still it smelled great afterwords and it seems like a lotta hops, hoping for the best.

Finally made this recipe and hoping for the best, my question is this...
did anyone use a hop bag???? I did not and also did anyone strain out the leftover hop mass before adding to the fermenter????
It was a softball sized mass and after getting my beer in the fermenter and getting rid of the hops I went oh s**t should I have left all the in there???? I know the recipe calls for dry hops so it will have some more added but just hoping I did'nt ruin the final outcome.

Finally made this recipe and hoping for the best, my question is this...
did anyone use a hop bag???? I did not and also did anyone strain out the leftover hop mass before adding to the fermenter????
It was a softball sized mass and after getting my beer in the fermenter and getting rid of the hops I went oh s**t should I have left all the in there???? I know the recipe calls for dry hops so it will have some more added but just hoping I did'nt ruin the final outcome.

I didnt use a hop bag when I dry hopped or in the boil kettle. I just dumped everything straight in the fermenter. It will be just fine, you may have a cloudy beer at the beggining but that will settle out over time.

Just took an update pic from a bottle that is about 6 months old. Still tastes damn good, has cleared up quite a bit. The hop nose has kind of gone away.

206433_1925310581174_1494445709_2102504_746530_s.jpg

That's nice and simple. I've just recruited a new homebrewer, possibly two. I'll have to pass this recipe along to them, I'm sure it will be well received to a couple of new guys cutting their teeth. Thanks!

Lgaddy44 said:
That's nice and simple. I've just recruited a new homebrewer, possibly two. I'll have to pass this recipe along to them, I'm sure it will be well received to a couple of new guys cutting their teeth. Thanks!

Gents, I made this and it's easy enough for a beginner is right:) After being in the primary for ten days I added 5 lbs of frozen strawberries but omitted the last addition of hops (dry hop cascades) just trying something different and hopping for the best. We'll just see what happens.

While bottling this the berry aroma was quite nice but the visual was a little yucky. The berries had a funky look about them ;( kinda off color and none too pretty????? Condition 2 weeks & see what we get!!!!!

I agree that this is a great recipe for a quick and simple brewday. I've brewed 2 batches of this with amarillo hops (that's what I had around), and both have turned out awesome. It's also a quick drinker. No extended aging necessary.

How long did you let it sit? The recipe has 30 days primary, 7 days secondary. I'm hoping for a quicker turnaround and wondered how long you aged it.

Grain/Extracts

Hops

I'm wondering why this is good in 15 min instead of an hour, any how a longer, say 30 min, boil would effect it?

How long did you let it sit? The recipe has 30 days primary, 7 days secondary. I'm hoping for a quicker turnaround and wondered how long you aged it.

I only do long primaries of at least 30 days. I skip secondaries unless I am adding fruit. The first reason is that the yeast typically need a good 2 weeks after primary to clean up the nasty biproducts that they create during primary. Moving the beer off the yeast cake doesnt give the yeast a chance to clean up after themselves. Also the longer it sits the more clearer it will get as the yeast will compact and fall out of suspension.

I typically dry hop beers after primary fermentation is done. This beer fermented for 2 weeks, then i added the dry hops for 2 weeks all in the same bucket.

I'm wondering why this is good in 15 min instead of an hour, any how a longer, say 30 min, boil would effect it?

This recipe was designed to be a quick turn around. With extract you are only really sanitizing the extract with the boil as the maltster has done a mash and conversion. Also with this recipe the hop amounts are upped a lot. If you were to do a longer boil you would want to adjust the hop amounts to compensate for that or you will end up with an extremely bitter beer.

Less time to brew with 2 little ones running around the house. Anyway...

I've got two "15 Minute" batches going as we speak; one with 7.5/1.0lbs of LME/crystal, simcoe/centennial/glacier, WLP051 and the other with 8.25/1.0lbs of LME/caramunich, chinook/centennial/glacier, WLP041. I'm following advice from White Labs FAQs for WLP041 Pacific Ale and trying to keep fermentation around 65 degrees F.

I'll let you know how they turn out. :mug:

IMG00265-20110522-0942.jpg

This recipe was designed to be a quick turn around. With extract you are only really sanitizing the extract with the boil as the maltster has done a mash and conversion. Also with this recipe the hop amounts are upped a lot. If you were to do a longer boil you would want to adjust the hop amounts to compensate for that or you will end up with an extremely bitter beer.

in general, if I come up with an extract recepe and shave some time on the boil, like say a 50 min boil or 45, you think it would come out okay, just be a bit week on the hops? So I throw in an extra oz. at the start and all is well?

use a website like hopville.com or use some kind of brewing software to help you recalculate the needed ibus based on the modified boil time to keep the beer balanced and within the style guidelines

I brewed this about a month ago and will be kegging it soon. I'm also going to be making BM's Centennial Blonde again very soon. Think this would be a good yeast cake to reuse for that?

Gents, I made this and it's easy enough for a beginner is right:) After being in the primary for ten days I added 5 lbs of frozen strawberries but omitted the last addition of hops (dry hop cascades) just trying something different and hopping for the best. We'll just see what happens.

How'd it turn out?

Well I gotta say, the beer itself smelled great even once the ferment was finished. THEN I added strawberries and it still smelled pretty good.....once it was in the bottles and conditioned for 14 days I cracked one open and OMG, it was terrible tasting. I figgered leave it for 2 more weeks and see what we get, well I ruined a pretty good beer with that fruit. I will make this again by following the recipe and try not to use my pee sized brain.

Sorry to hear the Strawberries burned you...

This is a follow up with my results of two variations of the 15-Min Ale concept. Both batches are now in kegs now and go down smoothly. :rockin:

The Simcoe/Centennial/Glacier version came out quite good with the citrus flavor and aroma you would expect. The WLP051 did a great job. Chill haze remains, but is only a slight annoyance and doesn't bother me too much.

The Chinook/Centennial/Glacier version was made with caramunich substitued for crystal and WLP041. Wow, did that yeast take a long time to finish...3 weeks in all before gravity bottomed out. This beer came out ok, but I over did the maltiness (for my taste) by using the caramunich and a malty-finishing yeast. However, the hoppiness is pretty good with the piney-citrusy flavor and aroma you would expect. Chill haze here too. I'm thinking the short boil doesn't provide enough time for the reactions that normally limit haze. But again, no big deal and a fair trade for a shortened brew day...when needed.

Both beers are pretty good on their own and I will make them again with slight tweaks. So after having critiqued both brews, I "accidentialy on porupose" filled up a pitcher with a 50/50 mix of the two figuring...what the hell! It was great! The flavors and aromas intensified and the body was rich evening out the malt-flavor balance. Combining the two added a level of complexity that the two simple brews ddin't have on their own. Three beers for the price of two...cool! :ban:

I bottled this about a week ago (I always like to try one after a week in the bottle and a couple days in the fridge).

Obviously not enough carbonation, a bit bready, and cloudy from the yeast (though we'll see how well that clears)... but the flavor is very nice - like a not so hoppy SNPA. It's also quite dry, which is good for a session beer.

I used double-oh-seven yeast.

Damn, this is a good beer. The yeasty flavor is gone now... tastes a lot like a SNPA, it's just got a heck of a haze.

I used Irish moss. I wonder if I didn't get a good hot break because of the reduced boil time? 15 minutes should be enough, though.

More likely it hasn't had enough time to sit and clear. The dry hopping and other trub may be a factor. It tastes good, though, so it doesn't matter.

Damn, this is a good beer. The yeasty flavor is gone now... tastes a lot like a SNPA, it's just got a heck of a haze.

I used Irish moss. I wonder if I didn't get a good hot break because of the reduced boil time? 15 minutes should be enough, though.

More likely it hasn't had enough time to sit and clear. The dry hopping and other trub may be a factor. It tastes good, though, so it doesn't matter.

This beer took about 2 months to fully clear in the bottle, there is a lot of hops in this beer due to the shortened boil time. be patient with it. I have had wonderful results and if you look at the original picture and a few posts later I added a pic that was a few months in the bottle its extremely clear.

If you can get past the haze you will find this is a great beer to keep the pipeline going.

Back