input on my APA recipe please...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
My next brew is going to be an APA. I want to keep the IBUs in the mid 30s and want to use some combination of Summit and Palisades hops (mostly interested in the Summit really - the Palisades is for added complexity). I would love some suggestions/feedback.

Here's what I've got:

5 gallon batch
~3 gallon boil
OG: 1.048
IBUs: 36
SRM: 11.7

Partial Mash:
3 lbs 2-row
0.5 lb Crystal 120
0.5 lb Munich (or possibly Crystal 20)
1oz Roasted Barley (for added color)

3 lbs X-light DME

0.25 oz Summit (FWH, 60 min)
0.25 oz Summit (20 min)
0.25 oz Palisades (20 min)
0.25 oz Summit (8 min)
0.25 oz Palisades (8 min)
1.0 oz Summit (dry hop - 7 days)

WLP008 East Coast Ale yeast

Thanks -:mug:

I really like my pale ales light, so I go .25lb 20L or 10L and .25lb or 40L. I don't get what you are trying to make with all that color malt. If you are just looking for a darker color but no added flavor then dark malt it up, but it is confusing for me. The 120L gives a very pruny taste that I really am not looking for in Pale Ales. But hey, this is your beer, so above all else, make sure you enjoy what gets made :) :mug:

I really like my pale ales light, so I go .25lb 20L or 10L and .25lb or 40L. I don't get what you are trying to make with all that color malt. If you are just looking for a darker color but no added flavor then dark malt it up, but it is confusing for me. The 120L gives a very pruny taste that I really am not looking for in Pale Ales. But hey, this is your beer, so above all else, make sure you enjoy what gets made :) :mug:

The only crystal malt I have used so far is 60L, so I really don't know what to expect from the others. This was an attempt to try something different, but I certainly don't want a "pruny" taste to my beer. The small amount of roasted barley is there for color.

The only crystal malt I have used so far is 60L, so I really don't know what to expect from the others. This was an attempt to try something different, but I certainly don't want a "pruny" taste to my beer. The small amount of roasted barley is there for color.

Well, if you use 120L, it'll be really dark anyway.

I'd recommend a "mix" of crystal- say 1/2 pound of 10L and 1/2 pound of 60L or 80L. Most APAs are supposed to be fairly light- like in the 5-14 SRM range. You should have plenty of color without the roasted barley.

The only time I use crystal 120 is in my Arrogant Bastard clone, otherwise, it's pretty intense for smaller beers.

I like the Munich malt in there- it tastes great and it gives a reddish color.

I really like a mix of 10L and 60L in my Pale. The lighter crystal gives the initial taste a malty sweetness before the hops take over. Darker malt like the 120L and the small amount of Roasted will come through mostly in the after taste.

Well, if you use 120L, it'll be really dark anyway.

I'd recommend a "mix" of crystal- say 1/2 pound of 10L and 1/2 pound of 60L or 80L. Most APAs are supposed to be fairly light- like in the 5-14 SRM range. You should have plenty of color without the roasted barley.

The only time I use crystal 120 is in my Arrogant Bastard clone, otherwise, it's pretty intense for smaller beers.

I like the Munich malt in there- it tastes great and it gives a reddish color.

BeerSmith only gives an SRM of 11.7 for the original recipe, but I think I'll eliminate the 120 based on the feedback.

The max I can mash is about 4lbs, so how would you split that among 2-row, crystals, and/or munich?

This is some of what Gordan Strong has to say about APAs. Base grains should be at least 90% of the grist. Under 3% wheat can be added for head retention. Use light crystal, 40L or under. Be very light handed with darker crystal malts--you don't want the color or flavor. Malts like Victory, biscuit or special roast muddy the flavor and are distracting (IMO Munich is almost along those lines.) Keep it simple, especially when first brewing the style. Good advice from an expert.

I have broke everyone of those guidelines. :eek:

Go to your LHBS and taste each of the Crystal malts. Find the ones that you really enjoy and go from there. I found that 60L is my go to and 40L is a very close second in terms of flavor for all of my beers. 80 and 120L are pretty burnt prune/plum flavor instead of a nice malty sweetness. 10L isn't much of anything, but it can help get a nice malt aroma before the hops kick in.

2lbs two row
.25lb 60L
.25lb 20L/10L
1lb Munich
.5lb wheat

That is what I would go with.

It's only for proteins for added head retention. The kind really doesn't matter much. Even wheat flour would work. It's a small enough addition that it will not impart much flavor or effect lautering.

If you want to step it up to an amber ale you can use more caramel malts and the roasted barley. IMO an amber should be 10 to over 15% caramel malts. A dash of 120L would be a welcome addition.

I when ahead it did the math, the OG is around 1.053, the color is around 13 SRM.

37% 3lb Extra Light Dry Extract
37% 3lb American Two-row Pale
12% 1lb Munich Malt 10L
6% 8oz American Crystal 20L
6% 8oz American Crystal 120L
1% 1oz Roasted Barley - 550L

Looks tasty to me. 4 oz 60L and 4oz 120L might be better.

Back