recipe need input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So for the first time since I started brewing I'm going to go out on a limb and try something totally on my own with out a recipe. Before I jump into trying it I want to get some feed back. My intent is a "Carmel Apple Wheat" So tell me what you guys think.

4lbs Wheat LME
1lbs crystal malt 60L or 80L
.5lbs brown sugar
5 cinnamon sticks (last 15 min of boil)
6-10 apples peeled and frozen added after the boil

What hops should I use, and what yeast would be good?
Will the acidity of the apples affect the fermentation
Should I boil the apples briefly to sanitize them?

this is for a 5 gallon batch as well

omit the brown sugar, not so much cinnamon, maybe 3 sticks, definitely boil the apples for atleast 5 mins to pasteurize. who cares about pectic haze, youre making a wheat beer. if youre trying to boost your alcohol with the brown sugar, use 13 oz corn sugar instead, the brown sugar will damage your flavor profile and take away from the type of beer youre making. stick with the crystal 60, maybe even a 40, add .125 lbs cara pils, go with fuggle, or willamette hops, or even a nobel like a tettnang or hallertaur, use wyeast 1010 strain in the activator pack, make a starter for it, the apples wont affect fermentation chemistry, make sure to ferment at 68-70 to keep the esters down. you dont have to do any of what i said, but thats the advice i can give. good luck. cheers!!!! :mug:

ok, cool, thanks for the help. Do you know of a good White Labs strain? the Local HBS only has white labs. Hope fully this will be put underway on monday (I love 3 day weekends).

Back