What kind of beer do you think this will be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonuff

Reaction score
I went into my LHBS today 10 min before they closed and of course they didn't have the hops for the recipe I was going to brew today. On the fly and pulled this out of my a$$. Anyone know what it could turn out as?

11 lbs Maris Otter pale malt
1 lb Vienna
1 lb Crystal 10 L
1 oz Cascade (60 min)
.5 oz Cascade (30 min)
.5 oz Cascade (5 min)

Mash at 154

That's what I was going for but when I came home and plugged it into Beersmith it gave me an est org. gravity of 1.073. There's no way this can me right.

Depends on your efficiency, I guess! I use about 12 pounds of grain (almost all MO) for my AB clone, and it gives me an OG of 1.065 with about 75% efficiency.

For most of my pale ales, I use 10-12 pounds of grain.

Sounds a lot like my SMaSH IPA, except I used all US Pale Ale Malt, toasted some in the oven, and doubled the Cascades. Mash 150F, OG 1.072 (!), WLP001 at 68F, and it's still actively fermenting a week later. Next weekend I'll rack it onto another ounce of Cascades.

ADD MORE HOPS.
I love cascade. my favorite hop by a mile.
I smell delightful IPA in the near future

Pale ale for sure. And i agree with the above, the smell of those cascades make my hips gyrate(spelling???)

+1 Looks like a pale ale to me. A hybrid tho, Brit base grain and American hops. It should be good

OK, I'm psyched. I've been brewing for a couple years but still feel like a noob half the time. I looked at that recipe and thought "hmm - sounds like a tasty strong pale ale". I guess there's hope for me.

Yep, a pale ale on the sweeter, stronger side. It may be more like an American Amber. No matter what, it sounds pretty nice. If Evan! won't have it, I'll dispose of it for you.

TL

Latest posts

Back