Faucets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intimnasc

Reaction score
I started on my Kegerator this weekend and want to order my shanks and faucets. Is there a big difference between the regular Perlicks and the 525SS Stainless steel Perlicks? Is it really worth the 25 dollars a piece to upgrade to them?

Yes, the 525's are rear sealing and will not get sticky like the standard tap faucets. If you buy the cheaper ones, you'll just be buying the more expensive ones in a few weeks or months anyways.

OK I'll get the stainless 525 Perlicks. What is the benefit of Nitrogen? I see alot of nitrogen regs and such for sale can you use it in place of CO2?

OK I'll get the stainless 525 Perlicks. What is the benefit of Nitrogen? I see alot of nitrogen regs and such for sale can you use it in place of CO2?

No. Beer gas, typically 75% nitrogen and 25% CO2, will not carbonate your beer. You'll need to carbonate with CO2 first if you want a nitro setup too. You'll also need a stout faucet to run the beer through.

BTW, the 500 series Perlick faucets are FORWARD sealing, NOT rear sealing. Forward sealing means virtually zero sticking even if you don't use a tap for weeks (or longer) without cleaning.

A nitro setup can get expensive with everything you need. Although, it is pretty awesome once you have it. But the facet alone is like $90 or something.

After buying my 525ss perlicks I will never use a normal faucet again. The forward sealing design is awesome and does not stock like regular faucets like gold diggie already mentioned. Also for a cheaper route my buddy has the chrome 525s and they are also top notch.

Nitro setup is nice for stouts and some like browns and IPAs through it as well. But you would need both a co2 setup (co2 tank, regulator, faucet) along with the nitro setup (beer gas / co2 tank, regulator, stout faucet) just for serving.

At some point I can see getting a nitro system/setup. But that's down the road. It's not needed. I have a mix of the 525ss and 575ss faucets right now. I put the bigger brews on the 575ss faucets, especially if I want to give it a bit more head. :eek: :D Functions very similarly to a stout faucet in that regard.

I just did some more reading and I guess my original question pertains to Perlick 525pc and Perlick 525ss. Is the difference between these two worth an extra 15 dollars a faucet? Is the Stainless just more sanitary or lasts longer under use?

I just did some more reading and I guess my original question pertains to Perlick 525pc and Perlick 525ss. Is the difference between these two worth an extra 15 dollars a faucet? Is the Stainless just more sanitary or lasts longer under use?

If you're going to be ok with the chrome plated, then get the pc version. I went with the stainless since I also have stainless shanks. I wanted as little plated items in the system as possible. With chrome plating, if it's not a top notch job, it can wear off rather easily. Not saying that the Perlick faucets are done cheaply.

At best, it's a personal choice/preference. IMO, if you have the extra funds, just get the stainless version. I've yet to read/hear anyone ***** about going stainless over the plated.

Kinda getting off topic in my own thread but I do have a side question that I also just realised. I have been doing the bulk of my pricing at Keg Connection but regretfully they are in Texas and I must pay taxes which prices them rather high. Any suggestions on simular web sites? I like the way they price their keg kits then have upgrades priced to give you the options.

Kinda getting off topic in my own thread but I do have a side question that I also just realised. I have been doing the bulk of my pricing at Keg Connection but regretfully they are in Texas and I must pay taxes which prices them rather high. Any suggestions on simular web sites? I like the way they price their keg kits then have upgrades priced to give you the options.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find another vendor with as much kegging supplies, and options, as Keg Connection... Call them up to see if they can toss you a bone, since you're in Texas and such. :D If they're close enough to drive to, you could save on shipping. :D

Funny story...............Right before I read your post I thought the same thing so I called them. Low and behold they are actually located in Comanche Texas about 30 minutes or so from where my son goes to college. I called the lady and enjoyed the conversation so much I don't care what it costs thats where I am buying my supplies. Its 15 minutes from Dublin Texas where Dr. Pepper was invented and now Dr. Pepper/Snapple corporate has forbidden the little plant in Dublin from making it any more.

Funny story...............Right before I read your post I thought the same thing so I called them. Low and behold they are actually located in Comanche Texas about 30 minutes or so from where my son goes to college. I called the lady and enjoyed the conversation so much I don't care what it costs thats where I am buying my supplies. Its 15 minutes from Dublin Texas where Dr. Pepper was invented and now Dr. Pepper/Snapple corporate has forbidden the little plant in Dublin from making it any more.

How far is that from where you live?? You could plan major purchases around when you go to visit your son, if it's too far to drive normally. :D Or have him pick things up when he's going home on break. :D Just tell him that if he doesn't pick up your order, no beer for him. :eek: :D

About an hour and a half from me. Sons college is in Stephenville which is 45 minutes to an hour from me. I'll make a trip down in a few weeks anyways to enforce my parent loan rights and inspect his apartment......wink

About an hour and a half from me. Sons college is in Stephenville which is 45 minutes to an hour from me. I'll make a trip down in a few weeks anyways to enforce my parent loan rights and inspect his apartment......wink

Surprise inspection... I like it... You could also make a side trip to KC's location. :D

Talk to Todd and he will probably work with you to make up any difference on taxes if you find stuff cheaper somewhere else. I just ordered 4 faucets yesterday. Found a good deal somewhere else, but called Todd and he explained the differences in the other equipment and theirs, gave me a discount on the stuff that was the same and a fair price on his stuff that was higher quality. I ended up paying a little more than I could have got it elsewhere, but got a lot better customer service to make up the difference, and also got some knowledge on the differences in the gear.

IME, Keg Connection is one of those companies that really does all they can to get/keep customers happy. There are precious few companies out there that still do that these days. It's one of the reasons why I continue to order things from them.

There's about handful of companies that rank high enough in my book for me to continue to do business with. They are the ones that have very few (if any) dings against them on these boards. I could list them, but I don't want to piss off the others... BTW, Stainless Brewing is on the 'good' list. :D

Off topic... WAY off topic, but Dr. P wasn't invented in Dublin. It was Waco. Dublin was just a bottling facility. They were the oldest up until their closing last year, and were only popular in the area for having stuck with the old original formula that is rarely produced.

I'm from the CenTex area, grew up there, and remember all of that vividly.

Anyways- Keg connections has good deal, so does Birdman from what I've seen. Also a forum sponser.

I stand corrected, though the main point was the big corporation didn't like the Dublin bottles and closed em down for selling out of their area.

I stand corrected, though the main point was the big corporation didn't like the Dublin bottles and closed em down for selling out of their area.

Agreed. They didn't like the fact that Dublin avoiding using that nasty HFCS in their drink recipe still, and kept it old school in the glass bottles. People liked their recipe better than the updated one, and they didn't want to have other bottlers compete against each other selling essentially the same product, albeit, one was better than the other!

Just bought and installed a pair of 525SS faucets. They are a thing of beauty and supremely functional. 5 stars so far....

YES YES YES on the 525SS Perlicks! I installed my first and next door neighbor pulled one pint on my kegerator and immediately ordered a 525SS for his. I ended up pulling the trigger on another one so now have 2. Worth every penny.

If you go to a stout faucet setup, don't worry about a high end super expensive one. They have one simple function: force high pressure through a plate with 5 tiny holes. I ended up buying a Khrome Dispensing (cheap brand) stout faucet for $40-something and it works like a dream.

Good to hear on which model is most popular. I'm in the middle of trying to finish my keezer build, and with 4-5 faucets, I'm trying to get good stuff but be economical at the same time.

Good to hear on which model is most popular. I'm in the middle of trying to finish my keezer build, and with 4-5 faucets, I'm trying to get good stuff but be economical at the same time.

You'll own them forever, so an extra $20 - $25 now per faucet is nothing over time. (That's how I explained my purchasing decision to my wife anyhow.)

You'll own them forever, so an extra $20 - $25 now per faucet is nothing over time. (That's how I explained my purchasing decision to my wife anyhow.)

Well.. she'll be buying them for me, so I just need to tell her which ones and she doesn't care about any of those specifics anyways..

Back