100% specialty grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redleaves

Reaction score
I know purists will hate this idea but I really like to try odd new things. Anyone ever try to make a beer with all specialty malt? Like an all chocolate malt or roasted malt. I know it will expensive of course but that's not a problem. It will also be very bold in flavor. Any thoughts? Any ideas about how much fermentable sugar will result?

Never mind I got my answer, there is not enough diastic power, so what in the minimum amount of say pale malt I would need to get the proper conversion with chocolate malt.

Those malts have zero diastatic power which is needed to convert the starch to sugar, you would have to add amylase for any chance of this working. I can't see this turning out well but go for it.

Never mind I got my answer, there is not enough diastic power, so what in the minimum amount of say pale malt I would need to get the proper conversion with chocolate malt.

There is nothing in chocolate malt to convert. Base malts and starchy adjuncts require enzymes to convert their starches to sugars. Experimentation is great but it needs to stay within reality.

redleaves said:

If you want a minimum of base malt I would use 6 row because of it's higher diastolic power. Try something like 2lbs of it per 5lbs of specialty grain. Love to hear how it turns out!

If you want a minimum of base malt I would use 6 row because of it's higher diastolic power. Try something like 2lbs of it per 5lbs of specialty grain. Love to hear how it turns out!

These days, the diastatic power of 2 row is pretty much equal to 6 row.

Back