Milling Grain Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to use my Barley Crusher for the first time and I am using my cordless drill to do the task. It is a Royobi HP412 — 12 VOLT drill. What should I set the Torque setting should I use?

I don't think it matters as long as the drill is not seizing up because grain is getting stuck in the rollers. You want to keep the rollers turning consistently.

I've got an 18v porter cable drill that I use. I find that the crush is more consistent if I go at a slower speed. I kind of think of the effects of squeezing as compared to smashing. My theory is that if the rollers are moving slower, it will crush the grain with less tearing of the husks( like squeezing them), unlike fast moving rollers that would provide a more of a smashing action busting apart the husks.

This all is irrelevant if you are in the camp that swears a well adjusted corona mill gives a comparable crush. The jury may still be out, but it's my personal preference to run the drill on the low gear setting. I can still crush 10 lbs of grain in a couple of minutes.

hope it helps

EDIT:
I don't think it matters as long as the drill is not seizing up because grain is getting stuck in the rollers. You want to keep the rollers turning consistently.
I agree, that whatever speed you run the drill, run it at one speed for consistency

If your drill smells funny, crank the torque setting down more. I just hand-cranked 12+ pounds of barley for my copper ale. I had previously used my Craftsman cordless, but built a hand crank as a concession to algore. Although slower, I like the hand crank better!:mug:

I asked Randy at B C products about drill speed and here is what he had to say

"As for the rpms for the drill. We recommend 300 to 500 rpms which is what a lot of drills will do. Pretty much fill your hopper, squeeze the trigger, and hold on."

12 volt might be a little small for crushing barley? Not really sure though?? I would think you could just run it maxed out and see where you go.

Back