Wooden Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meeeky90

Reaction score
Received a free keg and I took advantage of it. I wanted to get into 10 gal batches and Since I'm a wood worker I decided the best way to insulate my new mash tun was with some quarter sawn red oak in my wood shed. I used hot water heater insulation and taped it tightly against the keg In between the ridges of the keg. I figured the degree of the bevel I needed for my wood rips was 8 degrees and cut all the oak wood slats. Strapped it together with motorcycle straps to hold the wood into place and then fastened three metal bands that I secured with screws. Can't wait to use it!!!!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389464840.712154.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389464881.248946.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389465379.669702.jpg

Thanks fellas. I'm fairly new to the brew scene and I can't wait to do my first 10 gallon batch next weekend. Hope my temps hold well in this bad boy.

That looks way too great to use! You've got some good skills.

I have something similar but without the wood, just a keg and insulation. I bunggie the insulation on so I can remove it clean the keg easily. Seems like lots of spilled goods get in between the keg and insulation, if you don't keep it clean, vermin like ants and fruit flys are attracted to it.

Best,

Hey Thanks. Yea I had the insulation bun-jee corded on before. I have the hole on top cut out big enough so I can just scoop out my spent grains and scrub everything and just drain the rest out the bottom drain. Never seemed to have a problem with the keg getting dirty on the outside.

That is a thing of beauty. Ever think about selling some of those bad boys? I'm sure they would go for a nice price.

No this is not a direct fired MLT. I wanted a MLT with zero dead space so I flipped the keg upside down and attached this 2" TC fitting with a three piece SS Ball valve to the tap neck.
http://www.brewhardware.com/valves-69/137-tcsanke
Then I cut the hole out for my lid (on what used to be the bottom of the keg) and made a oak lid and attached a stainless handle on it. I also put a rubber weather strip gasket around the lid so It makes a tight seal and holds in the heat. Also my MLT is on a pulley system (kinda hard to see in the pic) so when its time to mash out, I pulley it up above my keggle and let gravity transfer the wort to the keggle. works really well and its fun workin the pulley!

Fantastic! I now have a wonderful plan on how to proceed to improve my MLT. I must add insulation and a better lid.

First batch with my bottom drain keggle, I was distracted by my Grandson who wanted to play and my mash cooled off. Must have been the near freezing temperatures outside.

Back