Slicing Brisket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Howdy,

Last weekend I smoked my first brisket. It went really well and I'm pretty proud of it for being my first one.

The flavor was good (although maybe a bit too smokey....easy fix) and it was nice and tender.

My only problem was when I sliced it I couldn't get those nice thin slices like you get at a BBQ joint. Mine came out like big chunks.

So, for all of you BBQmisters out there what do you use to slice your brisket and how do you do it?

Thanks!

I use a long serrated bread knife. Make sure that you cut against the grain. Easiest way is to cut the brisket in half, so that you have uniform size slices.

Drunkensatyr said:
I use a long serrated bread knife. Make sure that you cut against the grain. Easiest way is to cut the brisket in half, so that you have uniform size slices.

Agreed, but I'll add, if you don't have a serrated blade, use a very very VERY sharp knife.

A very sharp knife (or even better a cheapo electric knife) and be sure to slice across the grain.

HSV-brisket.JPG

OK Ed... I HAVE to ask.... All these pic's of food and you live in Austin...... WHERE ARE THE SPAMARAMA PHOTOS :p

HA! Spamarama rocks! Took my German Exchange student there....

Cool! Thanks guys, I think an electric knife is in my future. Thanks for the tip about cutting in half...I'll definatly give that a try next time

Thanks again

Invest in a good ham slicing knife. The are usually hollow ground, really thin and razor sharp:

Like this one:

4531000.jpg

It's called a Ham Slicer, but it works for slicing any meat really.

Okay, now that the question is answered....how about sharing that brisket recipe, EdWort? ;)

What kind of cut of meat is brisket? I need to smoke one of these, now that I got my first Boston Butt out of the way last weekend....

brisket_1.gif

I always believe that simple is better with brisket. I use Garlic, Salt, Pepper, and Cayenne. Trim off as much of the tough hard fat/connective tissue as you can, then rub the seasoning into the meat thoroughly. Try to keep your smoker at about 200-220. LEAVE THE LID CLOSED UNLESS YOU HAVE TO OPEN IT! Mesquite, Pecan, Apple, Hickory are all good woods for this cut of meat. Let that puppy sit for about 14-18 hours. Some people worry about the meat drying out, so they place a pan of either beer or fruit juice in the smoke chamber as well, but you really shouldn't ever need it.

greenhornet said:
Howdy,
So, for all of you BBQmisters out there what do you use to slice your brisket and how do you do it?

Thanks!

Spend the cash and get yourself one of these and you'll cut that stuff thin as paper if you want it that thin.

Best knife I ever owned

Drunkensatyr said:
OK Ed... I HAVE to ask.... All these pic's of food and you live in Austin...... WHERE ARE THE SPAMARAMA PHOTOS :p

What's Spamarama? I like spam. I like BBQ. I like Beer. I live in Texas near Austin.

EdWort said:
What's Spamarama? I like spam. I like BBQ. I like Beer. I live in Texas near Austin.
Spamarama/ is a fun cooking competition started in 1978. Several of my buddies enter the worst in show category every year. We will all be out there again this year, with homebrew!

"Two bar patrons—David Arnsberger and Dick Terry—and one bar owner— George Majewski—pooled resources, may have consumed some suds and established what has become an annual rite of Spring passage for Austin, Texas. Their thinking? BarBQ cook-offs, too easy. Chile Cook-offs, passé. Show us the brave souls who can present SPAM® dishes that the public would consume and that would be a competition worthy of notoriety. And so, it came to pass (sic)."

Don't forget the eating competition!

When I went they had a spam relay race btw UT and A&M...I ran for A&M. We won..

Anyway it's a lot of fun

Thanks for the tips on the brisket guys!

Back