Big beer yeast in SMALL beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to brew a porter tomorrow I will be using the same yeast that I used for my Munich Gold and that was the 2nd gen of the strang brew here is my ???? I have been doing this bassakwards the first og was like 1.084 the Munich was 1.066 and the porter will be 1.054. Is the yeast going to give off any weard esters or anything for moving down the scale of OG instead of UP
Cheers
JJ

I don't see why it would matter. If it made any difference it would be a decreased diacetyl level (the yeast would have plenty of energy left over after the initial fermenting). The lower ABV at the end of primary fermentation would probably mean you'd get pretty decent attenuation and less chance for autolysis. The only reason I think you hear about making smaller beers before larger beers is so you can have a nice big yeast cake to rack the big beer on to.

Ya ok I guess that makes sence and not to stress out the yeast. get it a little more alcohol tolerent. maybe this way they will ferment it out rather quickly
thans for the input
JJ

Back