Keggle conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Hello I just bought a keg it is made of aluminum and someone just told me that aluminum does not make a good brew kettle mash tun or hlt..... Is this true? Did I just waste my money?

Aluminum Sanke Keg (possible but rare)?

Even if it is aluminum, its just all up to preference. There is a large debate about it, and IMO aluminum is fine. There are just a few things to watch out for and be careful with over stainless. Search it will help you out.

I always thought they were aluminum until I started brewing. If you know someone that works with metal they'll be able to scratch it and tell if It's aluminum or stainless.

Look for a date stamp on it (usually on the top section, where the valve is). It should be on a down diagonal from the brewery name imprint (above the valve opening) to the right. You'll see a fractional number like "14/18" then the gallon size, like "7.75" followed by two numbers. That's the year followed by month of manufacturer. Such as 96 10, making October 1996... From what I've been told, any keg made in the 90's (and newer) IS stainless steel.

A magnet won't be able to tell you if it's stainless or not, since the alloy used is non-magnetic (303 I believe).

As mentioned, a good metal file will start removing material from aluminum with little effort. Same effort on stainless will remove very little material.

Also, if the shape is like the current Sanke's you see, chances are it's stainless.

If you have a angle grinder aluminum will throw little if any sparks and stainless will throw quite a bit.

A strong magnet will tell you (like a rare earth). Stainless steel still has enough ferrous metals in that a strong magnet will be attracted, but your standard fridge magnet won't.

Back