Probably another Stupid Newbie Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odo

Reaction score
Howdy!! Like others to this forum I just begun to brew my own beer. This past Tuesday I brewed up a pot of Ale and after pitching the yeast I put into the Fermenter. Now, the brew bubbled happyly until late Thursday evening when there was little or no action. I took this to be that is was ready for the carboy and transfered it to the carboy and during that I Dry hopped. Am I correct in this assumption?

Next question my begining specific gravity was about 1.042, when I tested it again on Thursday evening it read 1.020. Is this about right? At what point in the ageing process should I bottle?

Odo

It depends on a number of factors..recipe, unfermentable content, yeast strain and fermentation conditions but 1.020 does sound a bit on the high side considering your SG. Typically see many recipes shooting for a FG that is aprox 25% of SG.

What exactly did you brew?

Brewpot thank you for answering my post. I am attempting to brew an Ale. basically the receipe is 3 gallons of water, two cans of Moutons Amber Malt extract, six tablespoons of hops, added boiled mixture to two gallons of water then cooled to between 60 and 70 degrees. Specific gravity was about 1.042. Pitched Yeast then closed primary fermenter and kept between 65 and 70 degrees. After three days fermenting stopped and Specific gravity was at 1.020. Transfered to Carboy and dry hopped with 1 1/2 ounces of hops.

Beginning to think I jumped the gun!!

What should I do now?

Odo

Odo said:
After three days fermenting stopped and Specific gravity was at 1.020. Transfered to Carboy and dry hopped with 1 1/2 ounces of hops.

Beginning to think I jumped the gun!!

What should I do now?

Odo

The aggressive bubbling might have stopped but it's quite likely fermentation did not...when you do readings for transfer, you want a consistent reading over a few days to indicate that fermentation has stopped/slowed considerably, not to mention being somewhere near your target gravity. Have you taken a reading since it has been in your secondary? Gravity isn't everything but a good indication where you are....

I have taken any readings since transfering to carboy! Should I just let it sit in that for awhile and take periodic readings until the Specific Gravity gets lower before I bottle?

Odo

Might be a stupid question but why? I just put it in the carboy this morning and it read 1.020 should I do it again?

Odo

Odo said:
Might be a stupid question but why? I just put it in the carboy this morning and it read 1.020 should I do it again?

Odo

sorry it wasn't clear to me from your previous posts that the reading and transfer occurred today. :ban:

Odo said:
So should I transfer back to the fermenter and re-pitch the yeast?

Odo

If I was gonna re-pitch, I would do it in the secondary with something that is quick, neutral and highly flocculative...let it drop out in the secondary then bottle.

Back