Correct term for female brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
This came up in conversation with SWMBO. She is my brewing partner. Jokingly I called her a brewmistress. Then I realized that sounds kind of dirty, so what exactly is the correct term?
Beermistress?
Beermaid?
Beermatron?

Well, I call mine my Brew B*tch! And she hasn't even punched me in the face yet?!?! ;)

Chief Bottle Washer!... (SWMBO) what was that ?... (Me) sorry guys gotta go!

Hot? (I'm totally picturing Jessica Biel in a bikini with muckboots and a mash paddle)

This came up in conversation with SWMBO. She is my brewing partner. Jokingly I called her a brewmistress. Then I realized that sounds kind of dirty, so what exactly is the correct term?
Beermistress?
Beermaid?
Beermatron?

The actual correct term is, brewster. :mug:

Chief Bottle Washer!... (SWMBO) what was that ?... (Me) sorry guys gotta go!

The hilarious part was her texting me that she was sanitizing bottles tomorrow so everything is ready for bottling day on friday, hahahahaha. :D

She recommended beer ***** herself.

Yeah, "mistress" doesn't sound right. If you look on pinkbootssociety.org most brewers list their title as "brewmaster." My brewing jacket, on the other hand, says BrewBitch.

This is quite correct, it was the term for a couple century in England, prior to men taking over the trade and commercializing it beyond the local area.

Awesome! I'm sure SWMBO will love the new title ;)

Heifer-weizen? Hehehehe, i kid, i kid...
Mine called herself Brewmama earlier...I almost crapped myself thinking I was gonna be a dad. Fortunately, she was joking!

I like brewster.

I call my wife brew-lady occasionally when she helps me, but I don't have a real common term. All I know is that she is totally into the brewing, and with her good sense of smell and taste it is a great asset to have. Plus, a shared hobby is good and healthy for any marriage.

Brewer and brewmaster are not gender specific. We shouldn't have to invent words to pacify their insecurities of being a woman. Some men have a "SWMBO". I have a wife.

Brewer and brewmaster are not gender specific. We shouldn't have to invent words to pacify their insecurities of being a woman. Some men have a "SWMBO". I have a wife.

Dito.

I don't get bossed around, thus why I don't use SWMBO; if I did, there would be something wrong with my relationship. Any term I use for my wife for brewing is done for fun or adoration, and usually she is just called a fellow brewer like the rest of our group. I might be the one with most knowledge and experience in this, but I don't want to seem arrogant and call others assistants or the like.

She hasn't done an entire batch on her own, but she wants to. She knows all the steps, so I figure my next big Belgian I do she can take the front seat on.

Typically words that end in "tor" designate a male filling the role, e.g. administrator, executor. To reflect a woman in the role you exchange it out for "trix", e.g. administratrix, executrix, dominatrix. I've never seen it applied to a verb that didn't end with a "t" sound like administrate, execute, dominate.

I suppose you could corrupt brewer into brewtrix if you wanted to. However, I do not believe that is an actual word.

I do joking refer to my gal as "wench" and she calls me "master".

I don't get bossed around, thus why I don't use SWMBO; if I did, there would be something wrong with my relationship. Any term I use for my wife for brewing is done for fun or adoration, and usually she is just called a fellow brewer like the rest of our group. I might be the one with most knowledge and experience in this, but I don't want to seem arrogant and call others assistants or the like.

Chill gents! SWMBO is used for fun here. No need to go getting all weird...

Seriously. No one is talking about remaining in an emotionally abusive relationship or somesuch. It's just a joke.

+1 I'm newly wed (last may) and love my wife very much. And we have a great relationship. And I call her SWMBO all over the place for fun. She thinks its funny.

Sousbrew?

Mine wears her Brew Goddess T-shirt on brew days.

Can't go wrong calling her a goddess.

Beermistress?
Beermaid?
Beermatron?

kind of dirty can be a good thing, though. as for correct terms:

Whatever she wants to be called is the correct answer.

there you go.

Back