Cold crash in a Primary bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allsup

Reaction score
Can I cold crash and gelatin fine in my primary bucket? I have a Cerveza in my primary that I'm going to leave for another 10 days (total 21 days). I was thinking about cold crashing it, adding gelatin, and then racking it to a bottleing bucket after a couple days.
Would this be okay or should I transfer to a secondary to cold crash? I don't want to dirty (then have to clean) a secondary if I don't need to. Thanks

I think if you just leave it without any crashing, it might be better.

yeast will settle down and compact anyway due time and, leaving it at fermentation temp will mature and clear it a bit in the fermenter. if you want to, you can always do that when you come back - I think, cold crashing it for just few days will have same result.

I would suggest there is no need for the secondary. Use gelatin and cold crash three days before bottling. Your beer will be nice and clear.

I've done that on my last three batches and they've been tasty going into the bottles.

It's perfectly fine to cold crash in a primary fermenter which includes a bucket.

I wouldn't put that beer in clear bottles, though, unless you want some skunky beer. If you're trying to imitate Corona or something, I'm pretty sure they use isohumulone free hop extract to avoid skunking (or similar).

whats the optimum temperature range for cold crashing? I was actually wondering if I can do it outside overnight? It gets down to 28 F these days so wonder if this ok to do because I will be naturally carbing beer in keg after that.

It's perfectly fine to cold crash in a primary fermenter which includes a bucket.

I wouldn't put that beer in clear bottles, though, unless you want some skunky beer. If you're trying to imitate Corona or something, I'm pretty sure they use isohumulone free hop extract to avoid skunking (or similar).

hmm, what if you keep em dark all the time?

Keeping them in the dark would prevent skunking, yes. But, it doesn't take long at all for skunking to occur - it's a matter of minutes.

It's up to you, though. If you don't have to transport them at all and can keep them in the dark right up until serving, go for it. Kind of defeats the point of a clear bottle in the first place if you ask me, though. I mean, why bother if no one can just sit there and look at it anyway?

Thanks guys. I'll try it in the primary.

I'll put some in dark bottles to try, but I was kind of trying for the skunky mexican beer taste.

Back