Took The Plunge....Advice Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golson

Reaction score
All,
I am new here so bear with the dumb questions. I did some reading here before I joined yesterday and I am really motivated with my first build. I got a great deal on a Haier 5.0 CF Model HCM050EC for $149.00 after $10.00 mail in rebate. This is perfect for my two 5 gallon Keg Keezer.......
After reading many posts here I am left with a small amount of questions and/or advice. My parts list so far is:

- Haier HCM050EC Chest Freezer
- Johnson Controls Manual Thermostat Control Unit
- Standard Two Keg Door Mount Kegerator Beer Tap Conversion Kit with 5 lb. Co2 Tank
- Installation of thermostat and how to control temperature.
- Internal mounting hardware recommendations.

- I need advice on size and type of casters with hardware to use with this unit. Can I lay the freezer on it's side to install casters?
- Size of Collar. I was thinking that AZEK material.
- startup tips before I pour the first glass.
- I will be tapping two 5 gallon kegs. (Amber Bock and Kirin Ichiban). Anything I need to know about tapping these two for first time?

Sorry I might not have the Forum Lingo quite down yet...Correct my phrases if you like....Thanks guys...

If I was going to put casters on my freezer I would build a wooden platform with the casters on it and place the freezer on top. Does not look like enough good support for the casters on mine. If you lay it on the side, you need to give it time to recover before turning the unit on. I don't know what the official time is but give it a day to be safe.

As for collar, I went with a tower so I can't help. Start up tips = make sure you have correct beer line length depending on your temps and serving pressure. Many posts talk about that.

Casters are rated by their weight capacity. Beer weight somewhere around 8lbs per gallon. plus the weight of the freezer and whatever else you plan to store in there. If you must tip the freezer keep the compressor side down and keep in at an angle, and to be safe wait a day. The wooden platform is probably a better bet though, there probably is not a mounting surface for casters on the freezer.

I was going to go with a wood platform....My BIG concern is the angle of the compressor. But since I won't totally lay it on the side, I believe I might be safe.

Edit: Never mind....Just measured and looks like it will old max 3. Which should be good enough....2 beers and one for carbonated water for soda.

If I was going to put casters on my freezer I would build a wooden platform with the casters on it and place the freezer on top. Does not look like enough good support for the casters on mine. If you lay it on the side, you need to give it time to recover before turning the unit on. I don't know what the official time is but give it a day to be safe.

As for collar, I went with a tower so I can't help. Start up tips = make sure you have correct beer line length depending on your temps and serving pressure. Many posts talk about that.

72 hours is "best", but at least 24 hours.

Back