Can Anchor Steam Bottles Be Capped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
I like the bottle shape a lot, I saved some for yesterdays bottling. We couldnt get the caps to stick! I have one of those big red hand held cappers. We tried two or three times on 22ers and on 12ers. Is this something I hadnt learned yet?

I have always had trouble getting the two-handled ones to get a good crimp since the neck sort of flares down. But with a bench capper they work fine.

I've never had a problem with recapping Anchor bottles with my wing capper and even though they have thinner glass than most,they work just fine for me.

I have both a bench and wing.
The wing never works on the Anchor bottles, the bench capper is a the tool to use.
I use the anchor bombers and 12oz when I bottle a brew to give away.
I think the bottle shape is cool and gives a certain wow factor.

I know this is an old thread, but my brother and I just capped a bunch of Anchor Steam bottles last night with an old fashioned 2-lever capper. No problems at all.

I recently bottled a sixer using Anchor Steam bottles - they appeared to go on fine, but the beer in them is a little under-carbed (1 cooper's drop, 3 weeks in a 70-ish closet, then a week or two in the fridge), leading me to believe maybe the seal wasn't so great...

To keep up with the resurrection theme... ;)

I started using Anchor bottles with a wing capper a few months ago and, while the caps don't get the solid indentation that results on other bottles (the tops of the caps stay smooth,) I haven't noticed any carbing issues or stale beers.

I still wonder about the seal (which is why I searched and found this thread) but until I have any significant problems, I'll keep using them. I'll see how they hold up to the test of time...

They work fine, though I did shatter one last night. Just don't be too rough with them.

I tried capping some of these the other day with a winged capper. First one worked fine. Second one, I broke the top of the bottle. The other ones I was a little more gentle with but I don't think they sealed properly. Only time shall tell. Only bottles 4 bottles though as it was for the dregs.

Had a similar experience, bottled a six pack of anchor bottles, first 5 went great, and the 6th one broke on me. Had to pour 12 oz of my cream ale down the drain, figured it wasn't worth the risk of drinking a tiny shard of glass if I poured it into another bottle. So yes, you can cap Anchor bottles, but be careful! These will probably become my "give away" bottles as I'll be less concerned about getting them returned to me.

I got a sixer of Anchor a while back, I've put 2 batches of homebrew in the bottles and capped with a regular wing capper. It worked fine.

I've capped them with the wing capper with no problems but my new bench capper definitely does a better job!

Back