Should I brew today??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am fairly new to this forum, and still trying to figure out exactly where to post which questions.

Anyway, I started a thread here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/st...oom temp and pitch, and then into the fridge?

First....I LOVE your Name....That's what My Dear Old Dad usta call me.

Anyway, I'd brew tonigh if you can get away with it, then pitch your starter tomorrow morning.

Funny, thats where I got the name. My pops is an old school cowboy, and thought that Ceedubya was a cool cowboy name, so my initial are CWR (Calvin Wayne Richards). Nobody calls me that, but I use it in honor of him.

Thanks all for the advice, it was well recieved. I fired it up tonight, and had an awesome brew for my first one back. Steeped the grains for 20 minutes on the stove, then ran some 170 water through them in the grain bag while suspending it above the brew pot.

This was an extract recipe, but I did a full boil, so ran it up to 6 - 6 1/2 gallons and fired it up outside on the ol turkey fryer.

boil went fine, and chilled with the immersion chiller. Had it down to 68 degrees in under 20 minutes :)

I pitched the yeast at 1:00 AM, while it seemed to be fully active. Funny, cause I came up just short of my 5 gallon mark on the carboy, but the starter brought me right to the mark.

I have it in the backroom in the carboy with a fan on it and a blowoff tube. I will transfer to the lagar fridge in a few hours.

I'll take a few pics and post em later. Unfortunatley this was a lone effort, so no time for pics tonight. :(

Oh yeah, I took a hydrometer reading right before I pitched, it showed 1.080 at 70 degrees.

And here it is, in the fridge (hopefully) fermenting away :mug:

Picture356-1.jpg

Awww they're so innocent at that age. Pretty soon you'll be worrying about him going out and drinking.

So I came home after being gone since Thursday afternoon, after brewing Wednesday night. And, this is what I find..........

Picture403.jpg

Picture404.jpg

Looks like beer is being made to me :rockin: :D

Its been siting in a 53 degree fridge the whole time. We had a housesitter watching the dogs and the beer while we were gone. She kept a close eye on the fridge for me.

Latest posts

Back