Brett AFTER a kettle sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaimez

Reaction score
So my 2nd kettle sour i pitched Wyeast Lacto in a 6 gallon batch. Got the ph down to 3.7 before brewing. I pitched Belle Saison Dry. The plan was to let it sit Tart Cherries in secondary.
14 days after pitching FG was at 1.010 and it smelled like parmesan cheese. I raised the temp to 85F for 2 days for a Diacetyl rest and to see if it would ferment out. No luck.
I decided to Krausen with Brett. I had grew up some from a bottle of Matilda so i just did a starter and pitched. After 7 days at 75F i gave it a smell and taste. ALL parmesan smell is gone and it tastes great. Will probably move to secondary on some cherries like i planned and let it age awhile.
Thinking of brewing a Belgian Pale Ale and pitching directly onto the yeast cake.
Anyways, anyone else use Brett on a fast sour before?

Heres my recipe:

Recipe: FauxKriek TYPE: All Grain
Style: Fruit Lambic/American Fruit Sour
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 3.7 SRM
IBU: 8.4 IBUs
OG: 1.058 SG
FG: 1.010 SG
BU:GU: 0.143 Est ABV: 6.1
Batch: 5.50 gal

4 lbs Pale Malt 6 Row (2.0 SRM)
4 lbs Pilsner Premium (2.0 SRM)
3 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (2.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Acidulated (Weyermann) (1.8 SRM)
6.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Hallertau [2.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min

I've done it. I actually prefer to use brett over sacch in my kettle soured beers. I still leave it in primary for a couple months though to let the brett express itself more.

I've done two kettle sours.

The first was fermented 100% with ECY04 Brett Anomala. Very nice and fruity.

The second was fermented with ECY08 Saison Brasserie, then split in half. One half I'm drinking now. It's nice, but the previous Brett fermented kettle sour was much more well rounded. The other half was inoculated with the same ECY04 and is aging under head pressure. So, we'll see how the Brett plays off of the Sacc in that one.

Back