How much do you pay to ship?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMadness1013

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this & just sent out my first bottle for trade. It was a single 12oz. bottle & shipping via Fedex from NY to OH was $13. Ouch. The bottle of beer itself was only $10.

Just curious to know if there are any tricks to UPS or FedEx (besides weight)

Do they measure the box & charge by height/length/width?

Thanks in advance!

It's expensive for a non-business to ship UPS or FedEx.

Next time just ship Priority Mail - less than 2 pounds should be in the $6 - $8 range depending on how far away you ship.

Alot of times it is worth trading more. I usually go a little overboard with my trades, (25-35lbs.) But I usually pay around $25-$28. It depends on the weight, the dimensions of the box, and the distance. I sent a out 2 bottles once and it cost me $17 just to ship them, since then I try to go bigger, just to make it worth the cost of shipping.

Keep a credit card on file and honestly after 8-10 shipments i find my rates are going down the more i ship.
I can tell because ive shipped to the same people within 2-3 months and the secound time was $2-3 cheaper.

But to answer your question....Yes shipping is a pain in the ass but like Javier said its sometime worth it to trade mroe to offset the shipping
Also in the longrun i usually only trade for rare/beers i will never see in my area so paying the $10-15 is worth it to me

It's expensive for a non-business to ship UPS or FedEx.

Next time just ship Priority Mail - less than 2 pounds should be in the $6 - $8 range depending on how far away you ship.

Other than being illegal, it's perfect!

I've heard a rumor that USPS is trying to change their policy to be able to legally accept Alcohol shipments. We'll see if it ever happens. I think part of the reason they don't is due to taxes and state lines . .

Dirty25 said:
I don't think shipping USP or FedEx is 100% legal either

It sure is. I get beer shipments from beer clubs often and we are members of many wine clubs. All ship with ups/FedEx. The ups in Sonoma California will gladly ship your wine/beer home to you from all the wineries in the area.

It sure is. I get beer shipments from beer clubs often and we are members of many wine clubs. All ship with ups/FedEx. The ups in Sonoma California will gladly ship your wine/beer home to you from all the wineries in the area.

It was my understanding if you have a business permit to do so then its ok. Just saying..

It cost about the same to ship a 6 pcak as a single beer. 15usd

It was my understanding if you have a business permit to do so then its ok. Just saying..

I was saying a person shipping alcohol isn't technically legal. That hole business thing and adult signature required part is supposed to be added. Most of us doing trades are not shipping threw a business.

I think the best way is to print out own label and drop it off in the stores pile of boxes. I always take mine to a store and hate the question what's inside. I usually say car parts or collectible glass wear

Yeah hate being questioned....a friend of mine who trades used to say home made candles and the UPS guy began to grow suspicious.....i think he was questioning his sexual orientation haha.

I just tell them collectable bottles. Very fragile and valuable. The people at my nearest fedex don't even bother asking me anymore, and have the fragile stickers ready to go without me having to ask.

I just tell them collectable bottles. Very fragile and valuable. The people at my nearest fedex don't even bother asking me anymore, and have the fragile stickers ready to go without me having to ask.

Last time I told the UPS girl it was collectible glasswear she got all excited and told me she had to open the package to insure I packed it correctly. I basically said no, she told me I had to fill out some waiver bull crap yada yada. I am going back to the car parts next time.

Back