Recipe ready, input wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterse

Reaction score
Ok, I'm ready to brew my first mini mash and I have put together the following recipe from several suggestions. Just wanted to get some input on the final version before buying the stuff. This look good for a rich, malty pale ale?

4lb Light DME
2 lbs Vienna malt
1 lb Munich malt
1 lb Crystal 40
1 oz EKG (60min)
1 oz EKG (15 min)
1 oz EKG (0 min)
1 pg Windsor Dry Yeast

Thinking that the crystal (1#?) is probably a tad much for a pale ale. My opinion is to scale the crystal down to may 4-8 ounces and it should be good. Otherwise, looks good.

For a PM I would change out the 2 lbs Vienna malt with standard 2row. You want some good enzymes in here to do the work. For a Pale Ale, *I* would also go with Crystal 10 instead of 40, and if you want some more malty taste, add 1/2 lb CaraPils. Should make it nice, light but still with a good mouth feel.
On the Hops, it looks good as long as the EKG is kind of low, IE 4.0 to 4.5.
In any case, it looks good and will make a tasty beer, just might be a little darker than a standard pale ale. But homebrewers are not meant to be standard.

Back