Infections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadWeezel

Reaction score
Just a thought, but after helping another local brewer here diagnose a beer infection, I got to wondering if anybody knows of a good source of info for beer infections.

aka descriptions, pictures, causes, salvage steps, etc?

Second Anybody wish to start a wiki topic on it? or have pictures / descriptions for a wiki page?

I'm on the same page as the OPer, we need to collect a database of info and pics of infections. This could save a lot of time and effort for those who would take the time to search before they ask questions.... ok none of us do that so it would at least save time to those who post responses.

I have one story, well kind of two. It started when I made a starter too early. After about 2 weeks I noticed white bits and pieces in my flask, and I mean these were big, obviously an infection IMHO. In addition to the chunks their seemed to be a white film developing on top of the starter. I ended tossing it. Well I also happened to have a Wit that I left for too long in the secondary, the same thing started happening to it with the white film!! Well I did not wait for the chunks to start. I siphoned the beer, under the whitish/filmy looking layer into a keg and well it tasted fine and I'm still typing.... for now.

Back