Chili beer? What the hell...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just started drinking a chili beer. This has to be the strangest thing (beer) that I have ever drank.. Who the hell ever thought of something like this?

It's HOT.... :drunk:

I agree with you 100%. Of all the dumb ideas to come out of the homebrew/micro world in the name of creativity, this has to be among the worst. I love hot foods and chili peppers, but when I'm eating that stuff, I want a beer to go with it..a REGULAR beer ;)

Chili pepper beer is nasty. Cheers :D

Janx said:
I agree with you 100%. Of all the dumb ideas to come out of the homebrew/micro world in the name of creativity, this has to be among the worst. I love hot foods and chili peppers, but when I'm eating that stuff, I want a beer to go with it..a REGULAR beer ;)

Chili pepper beer is nasty. Cheers :D

Good to see you back here....but you are DEAD WRONG!!!!!

Chili beer is awesome. I've brewed one and I want to do another. We had a really nice one at Wynkoop in Denver--nice mellow chili flavor and no heat. It was a really well done chili beer.

Chili beer IS awesome! I mean I really dont drink more than one or two at one time, but I think one at dinner or just on special occasion is great

*edit

- chili beer is awesome only if brewed correctly. Ive had one or two that were just terrible

The one I had was a Cave Creeh Chili Beer. It was the worst thing I have ever had.
I just drank a pint of Oatmeal Stout to get the taste out of my mouth.
I just can't get rid of it.. :mad:

I have to say I'm not a big fan of spicy foods, but I'm dying to try a chili beer. It just sounds good, so long as the chili doesn't overpower the beer.

talleymonster said:
I have to say I'm not a big fan of spicy foods, but I'm dying to try a chili beer. It just sounds good, so long as the chili doesn't overpower the beer.
For about 3 hours that was all I could taste. Nothing but a damn chili peper.:cross:

I had one chili beer, It made me want to gag, never again. I love hot food and chili's but they need to stay out of beer.

The trick (IMHO) is to have a hint of chili. Just as with raspberry wheats, most breweries overdo the chili. If you don't have a local, just put a drop or two of juice from a jar of peppers in a golden.

I have a cave creek chili beer in the fridge but I'm too drunk to give a fair evaluation of it. So I took a Widmer hefe and dropped a chili with a slice in it. I have to admit it's pretty tasty. But like I said: I'm too drunk to...

i made a chilli and lime cerveza. not bad but a little too fruity, will not make another. but will give chilli a go when i restart brewing in september.

FSR402 said:
The one I had was a Cave Creeh Chili Beer. It was the worst thing I have ever had.
I just drank a pint of Oatmeal Stout to get the taste out of my mouth.
I just can't get rid of it.. :mad:

I used to live in Cave Creek. About 5 years ago they changed their recipe and became the foul thing you tasted. Before that it was a mild cerveza with hints of pepper and agave. Now its like drinking tobasco.

Janx said:
I agree with you 100%. Of all the dumb ideas to come out of the homebrew/micro world in the name of creativity, this has to be among the worst. I love hot foods and chili peppers, but when I'm eating that stuff, I want a beer to go with it..a REGULAR beer

:off: Holy crap, Janx! Will you be reviving the Lambic thread? :confused: :mug:

I've had one chili beer, unless you count Rogue's "Chipotle" Ale (I put it in quotes because you can't really taste the chipotles at all). I can't remember the name, but it was clear-bottled and had a whole jalapeno in the btl with it. It was like fire water. I drank it, but only because I love hot foods. I wouldn't buy it again, though...if I want hot, I'll eat an habanero. Why waste the barley and hops on it? I would definitely be interesting in something that is less spicy than that one, but more spicy than the Rogue. Something in between!

I tried a pepper beer brewed by a friend of mine who used habaneros.

When he told me it was a pepper beer I was thinking black pepper, like the vodka.

I didn't sip and I don't do spicy foods well. I should have clarified what "pepper" meant exactly.

1fastdoc said:
I tried a pepper beer brewed by a friend of mine who used habaneros.

When he told me it was a pepper beer I was thinking black pepper, like the vodka.

I didn't sip and I don't do spicy foods well. I should have clarified what "pepper" meant exactly.

Ugh, that sounds like a horrible experience. I love hot food, and am certainly a chilihead....but imo there are just some things that I know I wouldn't like. Chili beer is one of them. About the only thing I like chili heat in a beverage is hot chocolate from scratch. Guess I should add, I could probably drink some of a bottle of Chili Beer but that would be it. I don't like the burning throat sensation you get from a spicy beverage.

Evan! said:
I've had one chili beer, unless you count Rogue's "Chipotle" Ale (I put it in quotes because you can't really taste the chipotles at all). I can't remember the name, but it was clear-bottled and had a whole jalapeno in the btl with it. It was like fire water. I drank it, but only because I love hot foods. I wouldn't buy it again, though...if I want hot, I'll eat an habanero. Why waste the barley and hops on it? I would definitely be interesting in something that is less spicy than that one, but more spicy than the Rogue. Something in between!
That would be the Cave Creek stuff. I did not even see the pepper in there until it fell into my glass. lol

I have actually been thinking of making one, not so much to drink mind you but as a base for the chili I love to make. Although Rogue has released on that I have been eyeing for a while as a tester.

I liked Rouge's Chili Beer. It didnt taste much like chili while in your mouth but when swallowed gave your throat a nice spicy hot sensation. Very nice

I got some chili beer in the fridge from a 6 pack that "I won". It's way too hot and I love hot food. I'll have to see who made it.

In the Top ten list of beers that I have tasted in my life, there is a fond place for a Chocolate Habenjero Stout, made by a small brewery in Portland Oregon. I can't remember their name right now. I'm guessing that those beers you've tasted that weren't so great, weren't made so great. I was tasting this stuff next to a slew of people that hadn't ever had anything but a miller light in their life, and they ALL loved it!

DesertBrew said:
I got some chili beer in the fridge from a 6 pack that "I won". It's way too hot and I love hot food. I'll have to see who made it.

Ok, that was Cave Creek in the fridge. I had a bottle of it last night and I actually enjoyed it. The night I won this stuff my stomach wasn't right. I recant, I don't think it was too bad. Don't think I'd ever bother making any though.

Ironically, a friend dropped off a bottle of Rogue Chipolte ale last night...now, someone else start a thread on Dark Lord for me!!!!

I really like the combination (pepper & beer, that is). I made one last year - it was more or less, an ESB with a few pounds of steamed jalapenos in the secondary, though I only found a few people who liked it aside from myself. I think it's just something you either love or hate, like berliner weisse or Joe Rogan.

FSR402 said:
I just started drinking a chili beer. This has to be the strangest thing (beer) that I have ever drank.. Who the hell ever thought of something like this?

It's HOT.... :drunk:

4-27-07005-1.jpg

I'm all for it!!!
Then again I like the Cave Creek!!! :drunk:

:mug:

djhead said:
I used to live in Cave Creek. About 5 years ago they changed their recipe and became the foul thing you tasted. Before that it was a mild cerveza with hints of pepper and agave. Now its like drinking tobasco.

I don't know about that. I remember trying Cave Creek around '94 and I like HOT stuff, but that made my hair curl !!! Haven't tried it since then but I want to bre a Chile Stoudt.

i made a chocolate jalepeno beer a while back
i only put 2 or 3 peppers in it and it was too hot for about 6 months.
the last bottle was ok
looks like you have a cast iron stomach!

I made a chili beer back in '94. I put a halepeno in each bottle. It was so hot I never was able to finish even 1 - 12 oz bottle. My mexican friends loved it though.

I have a Serrano Chili Beer that's been kegged several months. I only used 3 chili's so it's not nearly as hot. After about the first glass you can feel some tingling sensation on your tongue. ;)

i also want to make a chile beer. but i think that for summer time it is not a good idea. i am going to brew one for the winter months because i think the spice can be warming, like a hot chocolate for adults!

I just got a bunch of fresh Anaheim chilis from the Yakima Valley yesterday. I plan to roast them and follow Brewpastor's notes to make a chili beer. I'll use my Yankee Drifter Golden Ale recipe as the base.

Glad I found this thread, I am set to do a traditional american pilsner (12 gallons) in 3 different primaries. I am planning to use some golden habaneros in 1 of them.
I am a certifiable heat junkie. I figure this pepper to be good one for my beer, because it will give good heat throughout without using many peppers.

In the end we brew for our own unique tastes. I may love the beer FSR402 dumped, but unfortunately I haven't come across one.

If it is nasty, It will only be 1/3 of my effort this time around.

Back